Crypto wins the gamble- QT Journal

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this :(

Give me more info about the "two new guys"? How were they QTd?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be agreeing with hubby also. Could it be lymphocystis? Give it time. Crossing my fingers with you. Been going through a similar situation with you. I have a cbb fish I have been watching closely. Gives me fits with spots every so often. Only one spot in the last 3 weeks. Still keeping other fish in observation tank. Scared to move forward. Been holding out adding them since May 5th! Hubby does not even ask when I will add them to the large tank anymore! :D

Shelley

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this :(

Give me more info about the "two new guys"? How were they QTd?

They went through 30 days of copper and two doses of prazi. They came in with definite velvet, the spots were much smaller and more numerous. These look just like what I had before... the powder brown has maybe 6-7 spots, the tusk has 5 or less.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I think that the bacterial issue is still a factor as well. The tusk has a bit of that white haze on him and some larger white patches on his fins...

So really, with all that work I wasn't able to actually eradicate either problem [emoji849]

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the best picture I was able to get of the PB. You can see two spots near his eye, one at the base of his fin, and one on his lateral line. The ones on his body are sort of raised, like a pimple. Definitely crypto right?
f5acfec46fc245d89fd4c440cf9890a4.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the best picture I was able to get of the PB. You can see two spots near his eye, one at the base of his fin, and one on his lateral line. The ones on his body are sort of raised, like a pimple. Definitely crypto right?
f5acfec46fc245d89fd4c440cf9890a4.jpg
As much as I would love to say no, the oval shape and general appearance are very typical to Crypto. I would be shocked if it isn't.:(

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like the crypto is not gone after all [emoji35][emoji35]

All of the original fish are still looking great, but the two new guys both have spots today. That tells me that the original fish have developed a temporary immunity, and either the couple of days early made a difference (put the fish back around day 74/75) or, more likely at some point I cross-contaminated without realizing.

I'm in the process of trying to talk my H into starting again...but he's understandably discouraged and wants to give it a few more days to see if they can fight it off.

What a bummer...makes it really hard to enjoy a fish tank when it's nearly impossible to get clean, healthy fish and even more difficult to get rid of the stuff they inevitably bring into your aquarium [emoji30][emoji30]
I'm sorry to hear this too! I had the same thing happen to me with velvet. Either it was contamination or a new introduction from a frag, etc. It's super frustrating but keep up the good fight! It's a PITA but worth it for a parasite free tank.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just sand?? [emoji17]

I wish...but no, definitely not sand.

Luckily, like the first time neither seems to be bothered too much and both are eating and swimming normally. I'm still debating, but most likely I'm going to start cleaning my QT for round 2 :(

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish...but no, definitely not sand.

Luckily, like the first time neither seems to be bothered too much and both are eating and swimming normally. I'm still debating, but most likely I'm going to start cleaning my QT for round 2 :(
Good luck! If anything documenting everything is a great learning tool for everyone new that comes along on this forum so your efforts are not in vain. We are all rooting for you!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was there I would help you.

But honestly I'm surprised this is happening because you did everything right last time.

It's disheartening how one teeny-weeny itty-bitty microscopic bug can cause so much havoc on all our fun! How dare they! Kill them all!

We got your back. Good luck. [emoji228]

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth I wouldn't do anything just yet. Count the days... an ich trophont must remain on a fish for 3-7 days before dropping off. If it moves on the fish or is gone in less than 3 days, it cannot be ich. Also, if you look closely you should see that the excess mucous (white spot) is just under the outer skin layer, not on top of it.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I think ngoodermuth is jumping the gun here. Because we know what to look for we sometimes react too quickly and start to panic. Everyone calm down, take a deep breath and get some rest. Paranoid rules in this hobby! [emoji6]

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I haven't done anything yet, but the spots are in different places today...and there are more of them [emoji45]So, velvet? I don't know how that could be possible. It still kind of "looks" more like ich though, you can see the bigger spots on his body.

079cb84fa67116da5a36a402a717e5a0.jpg

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I haven't done anything yet, but the spots are in different places today...and there are more of them [emoji45]So, velvet? I don't know how that could be possible. It still kind of "looks" more like ich though, you can see the bigger spots on his body.

079cb84fa67116da5a36a402a717e5a0.jpg
If they move, they aren't Ich. If they aren't round, they aren't velvet. Are you sure it isn't sand or abrasions?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots that you saw yesterday, are they still there in the same spot? In addition to New spots?

Are they under or on top of the skin?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or she could Prazi the tank if she can't or doesn't want to catch the fish in the display. I've used it without any issues. It says on the bottle it can be used as a preventive for future outbreaks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back