Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

• Acrylic tanks are my preference

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Acrylic tanks have their place for certain applications

Votes: 117 30.1%
  • I don’t have a preference (glass or acrylic is okay)

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Acrylic tanks would be my last option

Votes: 147 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer acrylic for several reasons

1. They are half the weight of glass.
2. They have better warranties than glass tanks
3. The seams are held by molecular bond , so wont need to be re-sealed ever
4. Can be refinished when they scratch
5. Most are made in USA of American products
6. They are clearer than even Starfire glass
7. Insulates better than glass

Just my preference, but if I am spending thousands of dollars on a tank , thousands on livestock, I don't want to be on a time clock for a seam failure, I rather sleep at night knowing my fish are safe.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass and acrylic tanks each have uses. If staying on the small side go glass, Large tanks? I lean toward acrylic. Have you ever moved a huge glass tank? I get it all day glass glass glass... nothing compares to a large acrylic aquarium. @italquam you summed it up nicely. Easy to move, insulating, longevity, clarity. Most people that have never owned an acrylic tank don't relise you can buff out the scratches similarly to polishing a car. When there's water in the tank micro scratches inside are invisible. As long as you take care of the tank and use the proper tools it isn't a problem. Oh no scratches is all I'm getting out of this thread:/

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two reasons I prefer glass:

1. Acrylic scratches super easily, to the point where an urchin or triggerfish can damage it.
2. It seems almost too clear to me. I prefer the slight green hue visible in glass, odd as it might sound.

That being said, acrylic is much better for large tanks.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like certain glasses used in system the are hard to scratch and clarity. Acrylic is great for the reason, acrylic can be buffed and fixed easier than glass.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef tank selection includes the choice between glass and acrylic and many people have a strong opinion. Many of the new nano and pico tanks such as the Eshopps Deskmate are constructed with acrylic and have gotten strong reviews. As tanks get larger, weight becomes an issue and acrylic tanks are lighter. The last time I helped move a 500-gallon tank I was glad it was acrylic. I’m also glad there were some really strong people helping! There are other pros and cons such as acrylic tanks can scratch more easily, but scratches can usually be repaired. What is your opinion about acrylic reef tanks? Please share your comments in the comments below!

ROTM_LouPico.jpeg

December 2022 Reef-of-the-Month by Lou Schiavo using an Eshopps Deskmate Pico Tank; Photo by @WWC
All 3 of my aquariums are glass, and that's all I'll ever use. They're cheaper and much more resistant to scratching. But if I had a HUGE aquarium where weight was an issue, or needed it modified to an odd shape (like a cylinder) then acrylic is the better way to go.

For my standard rectangular aquariums, I'll stick with glass.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my previous tanks have been glass (20 tall, 50 breeder, 29 BioCube), and now I"ve got a 4.8 eShopps Deskmate (acrylic).

Personally I prefer glass tanks (not as worried about scratching the glass or causing a nick in the panel), but I think there are places for acrylic. I'm in love with this Deskmate, and love the fact that it's got some orange highlights for the bottom of the tank (and for little tanks it's nice to have something super light!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef tank selection includes the choice between glass and acrylic and many people have a strong opinion. Many of the new nano and pico tanks such as the Eshopps Deskmate are constructed with acrylic and have gotten strong reviews. As tanks get larger, weight becomes an issue and acrylic tanks are lighter. The last time I helped move a 500-gallon tank I was glad it was acrylic. I’m also glad there were some really strong people helping! There are other pros and cons such as acrylic tanks can scratch more easily, but scratches can usually be repaired. What is your opinion about acrylic reef tanks? Please share your comments in the comments below!

ROTM_LouPico.jpeg

December 2022 Reef-of-the-Month by Lou Schiavo using an Eshopps Deskmate Pico Tank; Photo by @WWC

very interested in what people think of 200 gallon acrylic tanks… i have a red sea 69 thats glass and was a pain to put together with weight and I seem to have so much of the smokey look with algae after scraping every day… been looking to upgrade to a bigger tank but dont wanna have a huge pain putting it together so l was looking at acrylic for that size, but when l do scape my glass it looks amazing!!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might use acrylic but.... i would rather use low iron glass them acrylic because acrylic absorbs water and dings easily. i also don't want it to bow so i prefer low iron if was doing it for clarity

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My back thanks for me using acrylic...it is worth the money. I have even fixed scratches with fish in the tank (FW) with Novus 2 & 3 with some 1000-2400 grit sand paper. Most scratches are invisible and not permanent like glass. Most newer acryic tanks are stronger and better viewing imho. What gets the most mileage out of acrylic over the years has been using melamine foam to clean algae...otherwise known as Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (original non treated). A year supply for 5 bucks...love the stuff...perfect for cleaning acrylic.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take acrylic over glass any day! Not saying that cause I build them but because…

acrylic tanks with the proper material size and a good fabricator solvent welding it up is a tank with a life time warranty! Sure they scratch but they’re easy to fix also.. “glass you can’t buff a scratch out” I currently have a glass tank cause it was cheap and I wanted to get my feet wet again before going all out and it has more scratches than any acrylic tank I’ve ever owned or built.. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY LOL. the whole glass vs acrylic thing and scratches is nonsense! Low iron glass scratches just as easy if not easier than acrylic lol… the biggest difference is a chemical weld vs silicone seams and that’s where acrylic wins every time hands down!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back