Crystal dynamic tanks

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef! I was wondering. If any of you have a crystal dynamics tank. I’m in the market for a new tank. Thanks reef2reef.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef! I was wondering. If any of you have a crystal dynamics tank. I’m in the market for a new tank. Thanks reef2reef.

I have one.
48” x 24” x 31”
Build quality and glass clarity are both decent.
I do have a tiny bubble in the center of the main glass pane as well as multiple ‘flaws’ in the silicone. Some of the eurobracing is also tilted and off center. If you do order from them I suggest thoroughly inspecting the tank before accepting it.
You likely won’t have these issues with high end manufacturers such as reef savvy, however the cost will be significantly more.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. I’m in so cal and was considering them cause they are kind of local. I was looking at some of the high end manufactures and the tanks look really nice. Price wise not so nice.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely won’t have these issues with high end manufacturers such as reef savvy, however the cost will be significantly more.

I had a Reef Savvy, and while I didn't have the issues you listed, it arrived with a scratch on the inside of the front glass panel, the bulkhead holes were the wrong size and so close to the edge where I had to notch the stand. They seem to be the industry darling, but I wouldn't buy one again. No issues with silicon or euro bracing though :)

This thread has good info about experiences with custom tank manufacturers.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input. I’m still on the fence about getting a crystal dynamics tank. I’ve seen a
Few threads about their tanks leaking just after a few years. Their warranty is just 1 year. My tank that I’m looking to replace is ten years old and still holding water. It’s just a no name tank I got from the lfs.
Crystal dynamics will be at rap this year so I will check them out and look at their build quality.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 84x26x24 eurobrace starfire tank and stand from them and I love it. All edges are seamless and the eurobracing is perfect. Be prepared to wait 4-6 months even if they tell you 3-4.

apt220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tank is from CD. It's been running for about a year.

It has some silicone imperfections but that doesn't bother me much. Also a part of one of the edges on a top euro-brace pane is not smooth, like it wasn't finished properly or something went wrong when they beveled it. Not really noticeable.

IIRC they were late about 2 months. They did make a mistake with where I wanted the holes, which they caught themselves after the tank was 'done'. So they had to remove the back pane and silicone the replacement back in. I hope that didn't significantly affect the integrity of the tank in the long run. It seems like it's built like a tank and I would be surprised if it leaks (knocks on wood).

The main gripe with this tank is the double top eurobrace design. It's cool for structural stability, but I don't like how there is black silicone between the two panes. So there is like 3.5 inches around the edge where light can't penetrate. It's just a personal preference and I'm sure most wouldn't mind. But for me, when I consider my lighting with this tank, I am actually basing that on the opening between the eurobraces, and not the actual tank dimensions. Like my tank is 5 feet long, it annoys me that if I get a 5 foot T5 fixture, it's technically "hanging over" the open space, which is only 53". So light will be hitting black eurobrace. So what's the answer, get a 4 foot fixture? But now you aren't lighting all the way across. Maybe this doesn't matter if you are going with "puck-style" lighting, but it sure bothers me. But at the same time, it pretty much rules out putting a skinny frag rack on the side glass. In my case it doesn't matter because it's a frag tank anyway.

***I don't blame them for this though, the bottom line is I did not put enough thought/research on their design.***

Maybe if they could make it with a single eurobrace or put clear silicone on top without sacrificing aesthetics, I would consider them in the future for a display tank. Or maybe I'll get it "bigger" to make up for the black edge on top.

Overall, this tank is serving it's purpose, I'm satisfied, and it seems like a solid tank.

I do have a short YT video on mine when I first filled it up. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll give you the link.

Kid_Vegas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is the price, Crystal dynamic tanks are cheaper then a reef savvy. So it’s almost like you pay for what you get. And I went with crystal dynamics for my setup but my decision was more based on cost and what you can live with.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back