Here's some photo " proof " to validate my claims
IMG_20200504_134223_388.jpg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reading I had planned for maybe just the pygmy cories as they usually stay under an inch, and they're typically hardier than the otos plus my gf was interested in them. I had also read these particular corys more often swim in the middle water column as well. The sensitivity of otos is what scares me. I'm still on team rasbora just spitballing as I go.
Don’t worry too much about the Otos. They are pretty Hardy if they are settled in correctly.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a big fan of bettas with shrimp. Kept many nano planted tanks before and have had bettas mow down colonies of cherry shrimp.

Pygmy corys work great with shrimp, they're so small and peaceful that they won't cause any problems.
Would you expect a female betta to be a bit less likely to cause problems with shrimp?

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bred plenty Fanta Sakura shrimp in the tank on the left and had also had a thriving colony of red cherries in the more barren tank on the right.

The left tank had galaxy rasboras ( males beautiful ), very peaceful along with the pygmy corydoras

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you expect a female betta to be a bit less likely to cause problems with shrimp?
Some Bettas like shrimp some don’t. Females usually act the same as males towards the shrimp but somtimes safer but slightly.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never attracted to females bettas enough to risk it.

I have heard and seen of males being kept successfully too. But as I said, it's a hit and miss. Sometimes you get lucky and in my cases... the betta went to town the second I added it to the tank

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have you decided what plants to get? Planning on all greens? Pops of ludwigia? GHG carpets?
I'm actually on my way to the specialty freshwater store in the area as we speak to see what I like irl. Leaning towards flowering anubias, lots of carpeting green, and a larger bushy red plant of some variety as a centerpiece. Will probably start the tank and begin creatureless to grow plants for awhile then add some shrimp then whatever bottom residing fish I decide on, then the small rasbora species I like most irl, then finally a crowntail betta with some
crossed fingers and a handy net

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually on my way to the specialty freshwater store in the area as we speak to see what I like irl. Leaning towards flowering anubias, lots of carpeting green, and a larger bushy red plant of some variety as a centerpiece. Will probably start the tank and begin creatureless to grow plants for awhile then add some shrimp then whatever bottom residing fish I decide on, then the small rasbora species I like most irl, then finally a crowntail betta with some
Ludwigia glandulosa is a red plant that grows in a more bushy shape. It isn’t always the most brightly red though. Crowntail? Oooo. Color wise?

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a question. I started a live whiteworm population a few weeks ago that has recently begun to explode as saltwater tank food. If I add them to the freshwater tank as food will the uneaten ones just kinda live in there? Lol. I also went ahead and just got 2 of that light so I can grow pretty much whatever

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ludwigia glandulosa is a red plant that grows in a more bushy shape. It isn’t always the most brightly red though. Crowntail? Oooo. Color wise?
My hope is something with hints of purple and blue as theyre my favorite colors

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a question. I started a live whiteworm population a few weeks ago that has recently begun to explode as saltwater tank food. If I add them to the freshwater tank as food will the uneaten ones just kinda live in there? Lol. I also went ahead and just got 2 of that light so I can grow pretty much whatever
As long as you can identify those white worms as the ones that fall under the ‘detritus white worms’ then they’ll be fine. They will eat the decomposing matter.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can identify those white worms as the ones that fall under the ‘detritus white worms’ then they’ll be fine. They will eat the decomposing matter.
The ones I grow are apparently the ones people occasionally see as detritus worms in their substrate! How fortuitous.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Win win lol
Having seen things in real life, the 2 fish that really grabbed me were the chilli rasbora you mentioned and gold white cloud minnows. I still am a big fan of anubias, and I really liked hornwort and Java moss.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having seen things in real life, the 2 fish that really grabbed me were the chilli rasbora you mentioned and gold white cloud minnows. I still am a big fan of anubias, and I really liked hornwort and Java moss.
3 or 4 of those Mountain minnows would look sweet! They typically are a colder water fish though.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 or 4 of those Mountain minnows would look sweet! They typically are a colder water fish though.
They are near the top of my list of tank mates for my goldfish 150g, though still undecided between the gold ones or normal white cloud mountain minnows. Definitely recommend for colder water.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ope yep woops. Looks like you were right lol should have just listened from the start rasbora are sweet looking. Leaning more towards salt and pepper corys now over oto given interacting with them. Lfs was super helpful had a sale on tropica aquarium soil got 9 liters for 45 bucks. Gonna add the betta last. They also had bettas and were willing to drop in a few ghost shrimp before purchase to test shrimp compatibility. They had lots of color morphs of caridina and neocaridina as well though pricey. Will be a good place to start.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back