Cube lighting ideas

reefcoralclam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20,20,20 inch cube I don’t know what light I want thinking of a kessil a360x or a a360we up to any idea just want to have clams and acopora

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using this over my 60g cube (24x24x24):

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, the description of that light sounds great for the price. I wish they had suggested depths in addition to the coverage numbers tho.

@jgirardnrg have you had a chance to check par levels at the sand? Any disco effect?

I have a Kessil A360we on a 60g cube, it's a great light but I wonder if having a led spread like the one mentioned above might be even better. Especially since you get a controller included, whereas I had to purchase the spectral controller separately. I havent tried to grow clams, and I don't run my light anywhere near full power but BRS did some really good video reviews of the light that shows par values down to the sand at different power %s if you want to look them up.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I love kessils and their small form factor. However, I feel that for a cube and single fixture there would be just too much shimmer and shading from a direct light source. For that reason I would probably use an XR15B. Which also IMO has the best spectrum on the market still. I do think the Kessil is a great option but I personally would want to add some supplemental lighting to mute the shimmer a bit, which would in turn ruin the sleekness and form factor of the cube, not to mention add to the cost and put you over the cost of the XR15B

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, the description of that light sounds great for the price. I wish they had suggested depths in addition to the coverage numbers tho.

@jgirardnrg have you had a chance to check par levels at the sand? Any disco effect?

I have a Kessil A360we on a 60g cube, it's a great light but I wonder if having a led spread like the one mentioned above might be even better. Especially since you get a controller included, whereas I had to purchase the spectral controller separately. I havent tried to grow clams, and I don't run my light anywhere near full power but BRS did some really good video reviews of the light that shows par values down to the sand at different power %s if you want to look them up.

Testing right now running the "Sunny Day" preset: 200-220 at the sand with the light about 9 inches above the water line.
Top of the rocks it's reading 350-380... no more disco effect than other LED's I've tested on that tank.

The Sunny Day preset seems to be all channels at 50%. So the light has plenty of power. You can see the mounting I used and the tank in my build thread:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back