Cube needs more light Suggestions?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfs.jpg

I have been trying to make a single Radion Pro XR15 I purchased for this tank work, but Ive come to terms with it being just too weak to support SPS, even at my upper platform which sits around 9" under the waterline. Im only getting par readings in that area at max 150 with the Ecotechs power maxed out and fans running...

Tank is a Mixed Reef 74 Tower (essentially a 60 Cube with an extra 6in height) 24x24
Im considering two options right now, if anyone has experience with these lights, plz let me know what you think:

Kessil AP700
I miss my old Kessils, but have only owned 360s and 160s. Im sure one 360 wouldn't reach the depth I need it to while delivering PAR levels, so i'm looking at the AP700. After watching the BRS par video on it, seems like it should have plenty of power.

Reef Brite Halide Hybrid
I have always liked Reefbrites, but have never owned one. A LFS has this fixture in 250w above one of their tanks and I really like the color it puts off. Don't know if I would want to go 'back in time' with a MH fixture though...

Any thoughts/first hand experience with these lights? Thanks!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could get the reef brite add on. Since you have the pro, you can turn up the white channel since the reef brite will boost the blue.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get the reef brite add on. Since you have the pro, you can turn up the white channel since the reef brite will boost the blue.

Thats what I was planning on doing a few weeks ago, but even jacking up the white channels I only hit 160 or so par... And I heard the Reefbrite addon doesnt do much of anything for actual par power, just color pop and shading

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back