cube stand from items in basement (upcycle)

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to get some input, have not received much yet where I initially posted... since I originally discovered my cube on this site I thought I would post some pics of my stand build. I am a fan of upcycling and like vintage, antiques, basically the old beat up look. I plan on a modern minimalist approach regarding the aqua-scape with this tank and thought modern/and vintage may look good together.

I have old oak door, and tore down a wall that was put up in the basement of an older house we bought... (previous owner must have used some sort of oak panels from a cabinet) Also have some oak flooring that I picked up from craigslist that I used to finish the kitchen to match the existing flooring in the house. Basically the build will be cheap and utilize items that have not been tossed to the street.

I am just about done, with the cabinet and will set up the reefsavy cube that I bought used. This look may not be for everyone but some may find it useful or at least different. Perhaps if you like rustic it may be appealing? So if you have a few items stored in the rafters or basement who knows you may want to use it for your aquarium stand ;)

I'll post some of the progress pictures I have taken along the way. Since the stand project is almost done it may give others ideas...

Cabinet doors, and Vintage door cut down in sections:

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside view... I used plywood left over from another project for the floor and lower base.
Here is a section of how they use to make the doors. No Glue I have only found nails used to assemble the heavy oak door.

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the plywood base here... This was a test fit to see if I will be able to fit my sump and skimmer.
I purchased the heavy duty slides off of ebay for a good price. As it turns out this is the only major purchase for the stand.
I also have some short 4x4 cedar legs that everything sits on. (Again... scrap from an old deck)
I was able to stand in the drawer and slide on it.

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

I set the panels up so that they all pop out for access and cleaning. I will make the last wall removable so that the sump will slide out easily. The top rails are made from the oak flooring.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very creative.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stand build. The sliding drawer is very clever. I'm jealous of that.... hmmm... my carpentry skills aren't great but maybe I could copy that.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The door was originally used on an old coal room in the house. Those scratches looks like a rodent was trapped in there at one time ;)

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the fake door that matches the 3 sides... I also gave the inside a few good coats of white paint.

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to make a top from some old wood that was in the garage... Almost like barn wood.

But... After looking it over I thought i would try to look for some more oak.

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

Amazing that once you get under the nasty outside, the wood looks like nice popular wood. I bet if you planned it down it would be as good as new.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not find any more wood, but lucked out on a near craigslist find $15.00

I guess it would be well over 100.00 to buy oak wood of this thickness. This table is solid oak, may have been from a pub and it is heavy.

image1.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to get feedback on something different for a canopy or light fixtures. Primitive,antique, steampunk,etc...

I really would like to see some of your ideas for canopies and fixtures that are "different"
I just won an ebay auction so I am going to experiment with the balance scale as a mount for my lighting. It is definitely different and I may just end up using it.
I have plans to make the wiring look nice.

So this is where I am at... I still have to drill holes in the top, then mount it. I can tell you that it is one heavy duty stand.. I purchased the slides, white paint,top and the scale. I have about 100 into the project.

light hanger....jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! This is REALLY cool!! Great ingenuity and lots of hard work! Inspiring!!

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I figure out the final spot for the stand I will take a pic of the aquarium on stand, I already have my rockscape epoxied and ready.
Will have to buy some plumbing but I think the hard part for the stand is behind me.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! I love how different and creative this looks! Well done:)

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now to decide where to put it... I have had a tank for 20 years... It has alway been in the main area of the house. Unfortunately/ fortunately the house we have now is considerably smaller than the houses we have had in the past. I opened up the house so that the kitchen, dinning, and living room is one open space. Still quite small, I have an area that I could possibly put it but... it would take up space that we are already limited on.
The next option is a room on the back of the house, in reality it is probably ideal, it could be the "fish room"
Already has a tile floor, least used room in the house, which most likely now will get some use. The last place is a unfinished basement which eventually I will work on so that we can use it.

I am thinking that I should probably use the "fish room" ;) my fear is that it is the back of the house. But... with the tank there its possible that we actually will use the room.

I could put it in the middle or in a corner, middle take more room but viewing is possible on 3 sides. Corner opens things up but limits viewing.
Wife can put plants in there and I would have the tank there.

Anyone have a similar dilemma? What did you choose?

fishroom 1.JPG

fishroom 2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting on the sump I have some of the plumbing dry fit... Just need to set up return line. Piping will be glued up to sump, down tubes will be left dry so they can be removed for sliding of the drawer. Anyone have any sump suggestions when working with limited space.
A large heater came with the system, I am going to use two smaller heaters. This one is too long and makes it difficult to place. I usually run two rather than one anyway.

A couple of items I see I need to do:
Make/buy another baffle.
run hard/ and flexible soft line for the return pump. (I would like to keep it connected when sliding drawer if possible)
Get new suction cups for some the holders/equipment.

I can get at items that may need adjustments without sliding out drawer. By removing an access panel.

image1 - Copy (3).JPG

image1 - Copy (2).JPG

image2 - Copy (2).JPG

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck... Why not add a little and sand as well to help in the planning.
I have both MP10 and MP40 once I get some water in there I can figure out what is really needed.
Good idea to set in to figure out how to set up the controllers underneath.

image2 - Copy (3).JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

Will get some live rock to help seed once the water is in. Will check with locals regarding some established sand to expedite. Some rock just set in, not final.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back