cube stand from items in basement (upcycle)

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some plumbing today, I needed to modify the stand and top to get the return pipe through. Filled it up with tap water to check for leaks in the plumbing. One small leak coming from the only threaded pvc barb. Probably should have put some Teflon tape around it. It is only a very small occasional drip but it is a leak. I want to modify the overflow tube to get the water slightly higher.

Still would like to find a hose that is more flexible than what I have tried so far. Already received the scale from the ebay auction that will be used to hang the lights. I think it will work however the small weight is quite heavy. I may have to drill a hole to lighten it up. I will hang in basement with a light or two on it to determine if mods are needed.

Return outlet is just temporary, trying to make sure everything is a go. I wish I would have not used the original pipe that came with tank in the overflow. It would have been nicer to use the schedule 80 since it is a dark.

image1 - Copy (4).JPG

image2 - Copy (4).JPG

image3 - Copy.JPG

image4 - Copy.JPG

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little concerned last night when I went back into the room. Water on the floor :(

False alarm! After checking everything out. I believe that when I ran out to get a few tools from the garage (deep snow) I must have had snow on my pants that came off when I was tightening up the threaded barb. All is fine...

Moving forward.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a light hung up... Still have to figure out what I want for a light fixture (Not sure if I can use the scale). Heading to pick up a few pieces of live rock, its coming along.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine with rock work... Added a few small rocks with coralline algae...(Scraped a rock or two to get the coralline out into the system in hope to get it growing on the rock fixture.

Pictures:Tank without flash and the entire set up with off camera flash.

Still working on an idea for the light fixture. Tank is in the back room(officially called "fish room now :)
I found that I had to add a larger heater than normal because the room is cold. Going to get a heater to put in the back room so that the aquarium heaters do not have to work so hard.
Skimmer is in sump.

I had sent my kore 5th doser back to Poland for repairs. Back now... (took months) Will need to get that all set up again. I was basically using it on my nano for a constant water change. I may do something similar for now.(Once I get something in the tank).
Same rock fixture I just ended up tilting so that the large rock angle was like a hill running down towards front of tank. (Rather than vertical... I think it will allow better placement of coral.)

Oh and again I wish I had used black colored pipe in overflow.

So....

It's coming along!

tank1a.jpg

tank2.jpg

Just have thermometer up for now to monitor temp until I have things dialed in. I turn on the doser also just to see what the probe indicates as well.

Did not show Kessil hanging as I am still working on the fixture and it is up temporarily.

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a pair of clowns last week, along with a nice piece of Jedi mind trick and Spongodes.
I was then able to sell a few used pieces of hardware to fund CC coral purchase.
Picked up my order today from CherryCorals. I have it in the tank.

I will get a few pictures up once I have placed it.
May also be picking up a couple pieces from a nearby reefer today.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a pair of clowns last week, along with a nice piece of Jedi mind trick and Spongodes.
I was then able to sell a few used pieces of hardware to fund CC coral purchase.
Picked up my order today from CherryCorals. I have it in the tank.

I will get a few pictures up soon once I have placed it.
May also be picking up a couple pieces from a nearby reefer today.
That will bust me for a while...

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a shot from the front... Can't see all the corals. Still a couple in the back.
I am trying to pop off plugs and place them in hope that they look a bit more natural. At least that is the is the goal.

I am documenting when/where purchased and the dates,I have placed them in the tank. Also included is parameters along the way, all placed in an aquarium log I downloaded from the inter-web.
There is two large colonies, that were purchased. The Jedi mind trick and the spongedoes,
Fire and Ice is quite large which was purchased from a local reefer.

Torch, and Frogspawn was part of CC sale. (I just removed and glued Frogspawn so it is closed at the moment. Look close you may be able to see a few others from the CC sale.

There is also a pair of Mocha clowns that have taken a liking to the rock work. They are the only fish at this time. They were purchased on the 26th.

_ED19364_web.jpg

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would like to get some Yuma Rics for along the bottom next. But... I will have to wait for a while.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of the "Uber Green Torch" from the CC sale. Nice to get a pic so that you can look back to see if things are growing.

Torch-new_1.jpg

Back