cube stand from items in basement (upcycle)

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great suggestion! I have been dissatisfied with the tube I have purchased. I tried a couple different types from local hardware. When pilling drawer out the tube is stiff and usually pulls the return pump from its suction mounting.
Yes the drawer slides hold the weight. Heavy duty slides. I stood in the drawer and slid it for a test, it held me and works fine.
I have had no problem with the drawer slides.

I am going to use your suggestion. Going to look now!

The stuff you can find on craigslist is amazing. I wish I had the room, to dismantle pianos. You can find them for free. Many are made of some very nice wood. Also amazing is how bad a piece of wood will look, plain it down or cut it up and it becomes new again!

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the progress I made today... The fellow forgot to put a module in the box, I can't finish today. It should arrive tomorrow, then I can set the wall in and fasten. The front panel will be screwed on and wires can be rolled and hidden in between the front and back. All wires will come through top of wall and will be secured to the bottom of the solid oak top. I am still trying to figure out if I want to mount the MP40 controller, and Tunze top off controller to the board. Right now the only thing I was planning on showing is the Apex display by recessing it in one of the front removable panels. I could do something similar on the side for the items I just mentioned.

control panel.JPG

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to put slack in the wires or just use velcro strap and unfasten to make sure I can pull the drawer out without damaging them.

Ha just looked back, I think I can just leave a "drip loop" for the probes hanging on the side of the sump. The same on the other side for the other equipment. That should do it... It has not been a problem because they are not actually neat at the moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get the wall installed today! The equipment running the tank is all plugged to the Apex E8 bus. At this point they are "On/Off
When the cable arrives I can ramp the Kessil. Probes for PH,Temp & Salinity are up and working. I will need to re-calibrate and get a holder for two or three more probes. I still have to figure out where to mount the ATO, the area is compact. With the wall I still may be able to slide my Doser stand that also holds the liquids. It is very tight in there. When I get the remaining items I will add them along with the silicon hose which may organize the sump and allow it to be pulled out easier (Using drawer is necessary now ;).
Eventually I would like to see if I can get a hold of a couple more adjustable sump baffles to help with organization and alter the water levels in the sump.

control panel_1.JPG

control panel_2.JPG

In this photo... When the wood panels are inserted I will have the display recessed into the panel. It will be the only item visible.

control panel_3.JPG

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to get that darn futon out of this room. Its a small room off the back of the house. Not a lot of room.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the 3.5mm extension in the mail today, Apex is now ramping the Kessil A360W I will follow the color & intensity settings for a day or two to see if they may need to be tweaked. I also bought another fish yesterday. I doubt that I will get the Pistol shrimp /Goby now since the latest purchase was a flamehawk. I heard some folks have the combo along with a flame hawk however, since the tank is relatively small they may just end up being a lunch.

2-Mochoa clowns
1-Blue Chromis
1-Flame Hawk

12 snails
6 hermits

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probes are calibrated!

After a bit of reading I ordered my last fish... "Cherub" Angelfish. He arrived at the local Pet store today. Going to leave him there for a few days before taking him home. I want to make sure he is eating properly. He is small, I am little nervous thinking i might have been better off adding the flame hawk after this little guy.

Hopefully all will go well. Future purchases will be minimal. Maybe adding some color here and there. I will try to post photos once a month to document growth. (Hopefully growth ;)

I also seen some rockscaping that i really liked. I am going to try to mimic what I had seen in a portion of the tank. I'll have to get some long gloves as I mentioned those clowns don't like hands in there.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 month mark right around the corner, progress pics to follow...

Plenty of work to do... I received the motherboard for the doser, it is now installed and is working again. I should have it calibrated and will test for a few days before dosing directly to the tank. New silicon hoses also came in, I can update the sump area. The drawer should slide without detaching the return pump from the wall.

The last fish "Cherub Angel" was added, the flame hawk went for him as soon as he was put in tank. Exactly what I was concerned of, fortunately it only lasted for a bit. The little guy now has several passages that he routinely travels through.

So far pretty good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a few photos for the 3 month mark. I am going to take a full tank shot later... I lucked out and found a thread on a fellow that was going to frag up some up some of his colonies and he let the frags go for $15 a piece "regardless" of coral type. I was even able to pick up a couple pieces of Oregon tort. Unbelievable... I want to take shots before the new frags arrive next week. There will be over a dozen of frags to add, I don't think I will have any more room for SPS ;) Took full advantage of the sale!

On the downside, the Blue Chromis that was purchased, (3rd fish in tank) suddenly grew a large white growth form on its side and passed the next day. I only have 4 fish instead of 5. The Cherub Angel is all through the rock work now. What a great little fish it is. I really would like to pick out another fish that would be a constant swimmer outside of the rock work. I'll will continue to read on potential options.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics... I will try to edit and post a pic from February with each if I have one available for comparison.
Green cap was a free frag that I had sitting in the back. It is really starting to come along. I brought it in front for a bit more light. I thought the polyps where white but they are turning a light blue. I put the torch and frog spawn in back the frog spawn is almost large enough to reach the forest fire digi, that is why I moved them.

green cap14.jpg

sunset monti_0331.jpg

small_spongodes0331.jpg

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jedi Mind Trick has made a great recovery, however there is a portion that it appears to have no interest in growing back over. It is now growing on the inner portion, and most of the perimeter. I gave the large section that I broke off to a local fellow reefer I met. Hoping to start some trading rather than having to purchase everything. He is the fellow that gave me this orange cap shown below. It has doubled in size since I picked it up from him. The grape cap is growing however I am not entirely excited about the color. hopefully it will become more purple in time.

jedi mind trick_0331.jpg

orange cap0331.jpg

idaho grape cap0331.jpg

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I will be able to get a photo of the torch and frog spawn since they are in the back... I found out that if my ALK starts to get a little low the "burnin banana" will fade. In time I will find the sweet spot.
I am happy to report that the doser is working fine. I have been using it for a week, it is really nice not having to measure up and dose in the morning and night.
Right now it is dosing 6 doses through out the day totaling 7ml each part 1 and 2. Of course this may change after next week ;)

bannana_0331.jpg

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I just ran back and took a quick shot from the front... I am thinking it may look a bit different next month. For the better!

The only frag I really have on the plug is the CC firefly. I may want to move it to another spot... However, it has shown growth over the last month about 1/4,-1/2 inch.

tank shot0331.jpg

cc_firefly.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back