CUC for predator tank?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been toying with the idea of taking down a FW tank, and starting a FOWLR. I'd really like a Harlequin tusk, some sort of puffer, a clown trigger, and definitely an eel. With that being said, inverts are out of the question. What (if anything) do people use to help keep the tank tidy? Of course livestock would depend on the size tank I decided on.

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been toying with the idea of taking down a FW tank, and starting a FOWLR. I'd really like a Harlequin tusk, some sort of puffer, a clown trigger, and definitely an eel. With that being said, inverts are out of the question. What (if anything) do people use to help keep the tank tidy? Of course livestock would depend on the size tank I decided on.
maybe a sea cucumber? i dont know if the tusk of puffer would bug it until it nuked but i have a sea cucumber in my tank and nothing touches it so maybe.

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 FOWLRs, with puffers, triggers, an eel, a lionfish and a tusk. Hermits and snails are definitely "rentals" that would need to be replaced. I have a conch that has gotten picked on a few times, but is a bit too large for any fish to be able to do much with it.

I would say hard work and elbow grease will be your best CUC, as any living creatures will likely not last for very long. My cleaning day is sunday, and just doing regular glass scraping and siphoning makes a huge difference.

I would be careful about Cucumbers, since they have the ability to nuke your tank, and do not seem worthwhile for the potential risks.

FOWLRS are great though, crazy how coral tanks have completely overtaken them!

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say hard work and elbow grease will be your best CUC, as any living creatures will likely not last for very long.

Do you have any issues with algae on your rockwork?

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say issues, but i do have algae on my rocks. if i find it ugly enough, i just use a hard bristled brush and remove it by hand before i do my water changes, and then siphon it all out.

I can clean/do water changes on my 150 and my 40 gallon in about an hour or so total. doing it every week definitely makes a big difference, as it gives the algae very little time to take hold.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a diamond goby, tang, and wrasse. Puffers and triggers will annihilate crustaceans. Unless a small Toby type puff or blue throat trigg. I just manually vacc'd my old tank tbh. My puffer made a mess out of an urchin. My 2ft chainlink didn't bother a soul and was a model citizen. The worst killers were a porcupine and Niger.

I had a huge ro skimmer and a refugium almost as big as my tank with good flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering running an oversized ATS. Does anyone think it would be worth the investment?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering running an oversized ATS. Does anyone think it would be worth the investment?

I originally ran an ats diy based on the turbo aquatics thread. It was a royal pain to get tuned in and run consistently. I tested the GPH and let it acclimate. Worked for awhile but I constantly had problems. I have several buddies that had the same issue with some commerical scrubbers except the turboaquatics one. I don't know anyone running a turbo. Just my experience I'm sure others have more positive experiences

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin are some of the best cleanup crew member you could get. But I'd worry about the type of puffer you want...

Non-inverts I'd go with a Foxface. Even better than tangs in my experience. Urchins and Foxface are my go-to cleaners.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 FOWLRs, with puffers, triggers, an eel, a lionfish and a tusk. Hermits and snails are definitely "rentals" that would need to be replaced. I have a conch that has gotten picked on a few times, but is a bit too large for any fish to be able to do much with it.

I would say hard work and elbow grease will be your best CUC, as any living creatures will likely not last for very long. My cleaning day is sunday, and just doing regular glass scraping and siphoning makes a huge difference.

I would be careful about Cucumbers, since they have the ability to nuke your tank, and do not seem worthwhile for the potential risks.

FOWLRS are great though, crazy how coral tanks have completely overtaken them!

I'm considering a 48" 120 gallon tank. That's the largest that will fit in the space I have.

I would like to have a porcupine puffer and a zebra eel along with a clown trigger and harleqin tusk, but I'm worried about available space. I would use the largest sump I could fit and use a skimmer rated for a larger tank. Also considering some type of bristle toothed tang for algae control. I would either run a fuge or ATS.

Thinking that the auquascape would be just enough to provide a home for the eel, and swim-throughs for the other fish. What do you think?

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-inverts I'd go with a Foxface. Even better than tangs in my experience. Urchins and Foxface are my go-to cleaners.

I have a one spot foxface in my 125 reef. Does a great job, but looking for something different. I have 2 urchins in my 125 reef, and aside from picking up everything that isn't nailed down they are great. Just a little worried about an urchin's chances of survival in the tank I'm considering.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back