Cultured Ultra Clams-HOW TO GUIDE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tridacna clams are the beautiful gems of the sea!

VD2101_400x~2.jpg
VN1516_400x~2.jpg
VD2110_400x~2.jpg
VD2107_400x~2.jpg
VD2106_400x~2.jpg
VD2102_400x~2.jpg
VN1514_400x~2.jpg

Our cultured clams are easy to keep. Here are a few care tips:

Nutrition
Tridacna clams require intense lighting because most of their nutrition is derived from the products of photosynthesis. They also utilize dissolved organics--nitrates and phosphates. No other supplemental feeding is needed.

Water Parameters
Just like the corals in your tank, clams require the same water parameters.
Temperature 78F
Salinity: specific gravity 1.026-1.028
Alkalinity 7.5-8 dKH
Calcium 400+
Magnesium 1300+

Placement
Clams require a firm surface to attach. If placing on a sandbed use some rock rubble or a ceramic clam cradle under the clam. If placed on rockwork be sure the clam can not fall over. A healthy Maxima or Crocea should attach within a couple days.

Predators
Many fish will nip at or eat clams. Typically "reef-safe" fish are OK, but pygmy angels and some tangs may bother clams. When fish come near clams they close, if this persists then the clam will die.

Small pyramid snails can be hitchhikers on the clam's shell and will attack and kill the clam. Cultured clams are usually pest free, but careful inspection and shell cleaning plus quarantining are essential!

Internal parasites are common in wild collected clams, but usually not present in cultured clams. Some folks have success treating infected clams by putting the clam in freshwater for up to 20 minutes. Early treatment is essential since the freshwater will stress and kill weakened clams.

Antibiotic treatments are not recommended.

Acquisition
Of course you should only buy your clams from us :)

Be sure the mantle is fully extended, although sometimes it's difficult to photograph clams because the tend to close slightly and so photos can be a bit deceptive.

I have imported clams for over 20 years and handled many thousands. I have also set up clam farms in various countries.

Meeting with President of French Polynesia discussing export of cultured clams
TahitiPres_600x.jpg

Diving for broodstock
OffToRemoteness_600x.jpg

Early farm in Tahiti
ClamVats_600x.jpg

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some hobbyists clams are an elusive dream, and for others the centerpieces of their reefs. Why the difference?

Folks tend to make this hobby more complicated than needed and often search for that one thing that will make their reef dreams a reality. My best advice is to keep it simple and basic. Good lighting and flow are definitely essential, along with an adherence to natural water parameters.

There are many interactions in our tanks and many of them are not easily monitored. Among these is the bacterial population and their interactions with other tank inhabitants. Iodine is very critical to these interactions! l love the Hydrospace bacteria products along with regular ICP testing to get accurate Iodine readings. Starting a tank with their Substrate Sauce and periodically ProBio really works wonders. No hype or mystery!

VOC1621_400x (1).jpg
VOC3121_400x (2).jpg
VN1505_400x (2).jpg
VN1519_400x.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back