this is my second time splitting and today was the 6th day. I did not see any noticeable color change and I was thinking it ran out of food and hit that time period where no growth/very little was happening and was time to split. My salinity for this current batch is 1.019 which is within the range of 1.018-1.020 the card I received said was acceptable. And yes those are 2 L bottles. I kept about 33% of the grown cultures to start the next batch.
I think the left bottle has started to crash? It is significantly lighter than the rest. I found out that 5ml of fertelizer is producing a really nice green so I added 2 more ml's to this bottle to see if it would darken but instead seemed to get lighter. Also is the bigger chunks of phytoplankton a problem?
thankfully. I think my problem was the saltwater I used...I used a bag which was rock hard which I just broke up by hand. This basically made some of the mionerals precipitate out and not mix completely clear. This time around I ditched that bag of salt and opened a brand new one not clumped and mixed it until clear.
All bottles crashed...going back to basics. only going to do 2 cultures filled 1/3 with phytoplankton culture filled the rest with 1.019 SW. All bottles will be sterilized with alcohol instead of vinegar as well as brushed inside. The other componets will be cleaned with alcohol as well. both bottles will have 5ml of food.
Here some progression pics for this weeks phyto.
1st pic is starting out with 500ml or less of phyto and then backfilled with saltwater around 1.020. Add 5ml of f/2 for each 2l bottle.
2nd pic is a couple days after culturing
3rd pic is todays which is day 6 and will either be harvested and or wait till tomorrow when I have time.
This batch was harvested with phyto I cultured OVER a month ago.