Culturing Phytoplankton

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by CJO, Apr 9, 2011.

1. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely. Thanks for catching that. You get props for being the first to catch a typo!

CJ

Tsev03 likes this.

2. Reggie

Reggie unregistered

Question, which I'm sure you a lot would like to know as well: How much will the room stink if you are culturing phyto? :)
    My guess is that it won't unless they start to die-off -- just like the commercial bottled ones?

As for Phyto2, they said that they try to help hobbyists as much as they but majority would rather avoid the hassle of culturing their own. As for killing themselves, I guess, it has something to do with 'outcompeting' each other.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed an odor at all, except if you sniff the actual culture. My wife hasn't mentioned an odor either. She has a very sensitive nose and wouldn't hold back from telling me if she did! I actually haven't noticed an odor when they have crashed either, but that may depend on how long you leave them after crashing.

I understand what they were saying about competition, I was just saying that I have never experienced it nor have the phycologists with whom I have spoken (including one from the largest grower of phytoplankton in the world).

CJ

4. Reggie

Reggie unregistered

Thanks. So... will you start selling culture packs? ;)

5. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

I had somewhat considered it, but I would rather not. I would be competing somewhat with the people who helped me get started and I don't feel right about doing that. I do hope to update the thread with direct links to the products.

CJ

6. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders The LED Guy R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016

Try replacing chlorine with unscented bleach. There is a sitting time of 4-5 seconds, and it takes about a ml of water conditioner per liter to innoculate the bleach. (only use a drop of bleach, more will kill your entire culture. Also, a curly ebergy saving bulb in $5 fixture on both sides of up to 3 cultures works just fine for me. Im going to be going commercial with growing soon, so I will be using 5 gallon clear water jugs. I might try just using rodi water and no bleach, or I will run out of wc.

Ramasule and laverda like this.
  7. Electrobes

Electrobes Well-Known Member R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus Article Contributor

You know I did have the cultures in a white bucket, but since I was making them during the summer I had a ranco attached to a fan. When the inner temp got too hot, the fan kicked on and it helped avoid crashing the cultures with overload.

8. Reggie

Reggie unregistered

What do you use to measure the chrlorine, the test strips?

9. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

The Plankton Culture Manual recommended against using bleach as most bleaches contain additives that allowed them to persist in the water for a longer period of time (the culture manual also says that you can just run air through the chlorinated culture water to remove the chlorine, but I've never had success doing it that way). If it works for you, that's easy and great.

If you are going to grow greater quanitities, you might want to look at using 5-gallon carboys instead. The glass is easier to clean than the plastic.

Instead of water conditioner, you can use sodium thiosulfate to remove the chlorine. This is fairly inexpensive and is what is contained in the water conditioner.

CJ

10. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

That's a great idea on the fan attached to a temp controller. I really didn't discuss temperature at all, but definitely should. I have mine in my basement, so didn't really have to worry about it. I'll add that to my list of updates.

Thanks!
    CJ

11. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

Yep, that's it! Now that I have the quantity I need down, I really don't bother to test at all.

CJ

12. Reggie

Reggie unregistered

Thanks.

Which chlorine test strips do you recommend?

13. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

I just bought some from the local pool store. It doesn't really matter as you are more testing for the presence or absence of chlorine rather than a specific amount.

CJ

14. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

Updated with a few pictures.

CJ

15. iprayforwaves

iprayforwaves Active Member

I noticed when I was growing Phyto and Rotifers that if one of my cultures started looking "frothy", it would inevitably crash soon afterward. Learned to always keep a spare 2-liter filled with culture in the fridge to restart quickly if needed.

16. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

That's a good point. An easy way to handle this is to just add some more nutrients (micro algae grow) until you have a chance to start the next culture.

CJ

17. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders The LED Guy R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016

That happens, like cj said add more fertilizer, it will get even darker. You can do it again and again before you harvest.

18. coralcity

coralcity Mike

thanks for the info

19. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

No problem!

CJ

20. Avilleneuve

Avilleneuve Member

This will help a lot

Draft saved Draft deleted