Culturing Phytoplankton

  • Thread starter Thread starter CJO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Thank you for the detailed write up!
 
Very nice write up, by the way. I am currently trying to do a culture only using nature light by letting the jar sitting by a window. Not sure if it will work, can anyone who expirence it charm in?
Thanks
 
it works, not sure how ocean algae spores make it to Ohio, but somehow algae forms all its own. So if it works here it’s sure to work by the bay..
Also plain ole tank water works...usually it also contains pods so sometimes it’s difficult to start but algae usually survives the hot window temps
 
Great job! Thank you for the great info
 
I am getting ready to start my first batch, I have the Mercer of Montana kit coming in. I have access to lots of this sanitizer and I am wondering if it would be ok to use.

FA615AAA-B46F-4AEA-8176-F3814C9471C0.jpeg
 
The water will lose all its green color. The darker the green, the more Phyo you have in the water.
Thanks for your respond.
If I tune down my air pump a bit, color is less green and there is some residual on the bottom.
But if I tune up my pump, color is greener and no residual.
Does that mean my culture still alive?
 
Thanks for the tips definitely trying this. My last 2 attempts were fails
 
it works, not sure how ocean algae spores make it to Ohio, but somehow algae forms all its own. So if it works here it’s sure to work by the bay..
Also plain ole tank water works...usually it also contains pods so sometimes it’s difficult to start but algae usually survives the hot window temps
Reviving this post to ask, do you mean once you have pods and phyto in your tank you can start a culture just with your tank water and adding fertilizer?

I bought the Reef Poseidon kit used and used some Dinkins pods and phyto to start it. I wish I sanitized everything better but I didn't know what I was doing. That MSpaint instruction manual with the system is something else 😅
 
I know this is an old thread, but how does one start culturing diatoms? I'm in Canada and can't find a starter culture.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new