Culturing Success - Input Needed

B-rad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Background
I have been working on a C++ program that serves as an 'Atremia tracker' (glorified timer) since September/October. This application takes various environmental values and then sets a timer for when they would hatch. I have finished this as a sort of "proof-of-concept" however I wish to expand this significantly to act as a well-rounded application for tracking various forms of food cultures along with a few other accessories (such as keeping tabs on how much food you go through). In its current state it is also only a console-application (to focus primarily on the code), which I am in the process of converting to a mobile application as I continue moving beyond the prototype.

Screenshot (53).png

^Not much to look at right now

Current Objectives
- Contain all utilities/accessories necessary for culturing food
- Accurate
- Make live food cultures more accessible/manageable
- Free (this hobby is expensive enough as-is)

If you like the concept of what I described above and would like to contribute, here's what I need:

-Personal culturing routines for any specific live cultures (ie. Tisbe biminiensis rather than just 'copepods')
-Environmental parameters that you keep track of (being able to mention your parameters would be an added bonus)
-Problems that might occur and corresponding solutions
-Beneficial features

In the future:
-Testers who offer constructive and in-depth remarks/critiques that can assist in refining and debugging.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions/comments or if you would like to assist in the developmental process.
-Ohmann

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool man! I’m new to culturing but not to reefing. I’m am in the process of getting my cultures up and running. Currently have Phyto; Nannochloropsis. The other two cultures are on their way (Tetraselmis & Isochrysis). Pods; I have two cultures running; 1 Tisbe & 1 mixed culture of Tisbe, Parvo, Acartia, & Pseudo. I plan to do rotifers here in the near future as well.

Hopefully when I get a little more time under my belt doing this I’ll have something to contribute...

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Computer Science major (last year this fall). I'd be willing to take a look at the overall integrity of the program if you'd like, otherwise I'd be willing to answer any questions you have regarding C++. I have experience with Husky Games, as well as designing pretty much anything under the sun as I can see the world around me IN objects ;Bookworm;Bookworm.

Is it on GitHub yet?? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS;Watching

I can also help to convert it from C++ to Java and Objective-C for Android and iPhones respectively...but I don't own a dev license to either the App Store or the Play Store atm.

On another note entirely - I haven't begun to culture...but when I do after I move, I'd be happy to provide my data.

OP
OP
B-rad

B-rad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the time later today I’d love to discuss collaborating further. Do you have Slack? I’ll look into uploading it to GitHub as well (but for now I can just send you screenshots if you’d like)

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the time later today I’d love to discuss collaborating further. Do you have Slack? I’ll look into uploading it to GitHub as well (but for now I can just send you screenshots if you’d like)

I do have slack, yes! I'll PM my email for an invite

OP
OP
B-rad

B-rad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for more people to collect data. If you are interested please send me a pm so I can send you the spreadsheet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back