Culturing Tigger pods

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
I have been culturing tigger pods for a couple of months primarily on spirulina powder.

That is impressive! I had no idea they got that big!

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
What is your set up like? I am wanting to start cultivating tiggers. Any advice for a beginner?

OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My setup is simple and inexpensive. There is no need to invest in a fancy setup. They are sturdy little buggers.

I have them in a round wide-mouth plastic container (less than one gallon) in which dog biscuits came in. I am bubbling air into it slowly using a 1/4 inch tubing and a Tetra 10 air pump from Walmart.

I feed inexpensive spirulina powder that I bought from a health food store in bulk (now even cheaper one from Amazon.) I dissolve it in dechlorinated water and add it to the container - just a small amount (barely enough to give the water in the container a slight haze.) Feeding pods too little food does not kill them, but overfeeding them will for sure. If you are using live phytoplankton, overfeeding is not a concern, but if you are feeding them anything non live, you need to feed them very sparingly. They don't need to be fed everyday, either.

Hope this helps.

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up with you. I did pretty much what you said but I put them in a 5 gallon bucket I had. I bought a small bottle from the fish store and poured most into my tank but left a little for the culture. I got a cheap pump and some tubing and I put the bucket in my garage. All I am feeding them is live phytoplankton I got from my LFS. It took a while but I have a ton swimming around now. I attached a picture of my setup and a picture of the pods. All the little dots in the pod picture are pods.What is your method to catch them for your tank? Do you change out the water? Its been a couple months and I have not changed the water. They seem fine.

20200602_134157.jpg 20200602_134228.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They seems okay without water changes although I occasionally end up doing it when I capture them with a small plankton sieve. Some of them tend to hang on the sieve a bit. I sometimes catch them with a turkey baster and put them into my fuge.

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
They seems okay without water changes although I occasionally end up doing it when I capture them with a small plankton sieve. Some of them tend to hang on the sieve a bit. I sometimes catch them with a turkey baster and put them into my fuge.
Where can I find the sieve?

OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Coffee filter should work, too. The plankton sieves are sold on Etsy, Ebay, Brine Shrimp Direct, etc. Florida Aqua Farm is a great source of live planktons and plankton collectors. Their shipping and handling is typically $6.00 on up, which makes things a little more expensive. However, they have good quality products. I have been using my rotifer collectors for over 15 years now. It still looks pretty new.

Mega Meltdown After Sale

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 138 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 174 55.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Ultimate Corals