Current builds

Stevepogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Fluval 13.5 gal with a sicce 1.0 pump, 2 RFGs, stock lighting, intank chamber 1 with floss filter, chemo blue, Fluval and marine pure gems. I have this hooked up to my Apex Pro and trident to prepare for reefing and hopefully soon move to the renovated 72gal bow front tank with 2 canisters. Current occupants in the Fluval are 2 snowflake clowns, Royal gramma, pistol shrimp (rip goby) and 8 hermit crabs.

E022C0B3-7C30-4517-9F3F-9AEDEBF70C35.jpeg

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you’re doing well. If you’re going to move your reef to the 72 gallon bow front I’d ditch the canister filters. They quickly catch debris and hold onto it. It rots in the canister and spikes your nitrates and phosphates unless you’re prepared to thoroughly clean them at least twice a day. If you ever get a sump, chaeto and a filter sock will be your best friends.

I would love to see pictures of your Fluval. Do you have extra shells for your hermits?

OP
OP
S

Stevepogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of. Still collecting inventory for a larger tank. Just picked up 2 Apex Sky's while they were 25% off for lighting. Still need wave makers, a RODI system, and some more rock. Might just have to keep it Fish only until I can get a large tank with a sump or get brave and drill out the back of the tank to add overflow and sump. The list keeps growing.

I did by some shells but only 3 of the shells ended up being larger than the ones they have. I've noticed one has moved in to a larger shell and will do laps around the tank then swap to the other large shell and back. Guess they haven't decided which shell they want. Noticed they also started molting and quickly grew to take on the weight of the new shells. Going to buy a few more from the LFS for the others.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is that water changes will help a lot of issues. There are reefers here who do 100% water changes on their nanos. That said if you want just fish I’d still get some sand and live rock in there. That’ll provide some biological filtration. Maybe get a single live rock, not the dry rock. The live rock will help seed dry rock when you get your 72 gallon up and running.

OP
OP
S

Stevepogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had my Sicce pump go out today, turned it off with the Apex for feeding then did not come back on. Luckily, I have the Fluval one still but flow is a bit slower. Just means I need to get the 72 gal up and cycling sooner. So the Fluval 13.5 I have I bought from someone already up and running for a while. It has live rock, live sand and fish :) I added a picture to my initial build. Had a little setback with new lighting schedule so getting some algae. Bought nicrew timer to help.

Do not want to keep investing money into the 13.5 even though it could use a new pump, wave maker and light. Need to make use of the Sky's I just bought for the big tank, figure out new media for the 407 and FX6 pumps, also how much live sand and rock to get. Going to probably wait for black Friday for some of these purchases, a RODI kit and maybe a large rubbermaid garbage container for storage. Found Reef Crystals onsale on Amazon for $40.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back