Current Orbit IC Pro vs T5HO

Jeves360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 125 gal about 24" deep with Current Orbit IC Pro 48" model. Not my first choice but was a gift. Wife saw it in my cart loved the aesthetics if them and pulled the trigger. I love the design of the lights and when running "Blue" corals pop, but I feel that I am missing out.

I am housing mainly softies and LPS at the moment but would like to get into some SPS and Nems eventually.

I am not in a position right now to invest 1k into lighting. I have seen a lot of talk about mixing LED with T5HO. I can get an Aqualife t5ho/led 4 bulb 48" fixture for about $160 without the bulbs brand new. I can also make my current fixture fit it.

My question, is this a good move? If so what light combo should I use? Ive owned ATI before and will probrobly again, thinking 2 Coral+ and 2 Blue+.

If this has been discussed please point me there. I did try searching for similia talks but nothing specific to what i have atm.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jeves360

Let us say #WelcometoR2R

The current is a good light, people get results, I think it lags the power.

Let me know if this is what you are thinking. The 4” hybrid fixture. That should come with a hanging kit, no lights. The 2 Coral + on the outside, 2 Blue + on the inside, and your IC pro mounted in between the 2 t5 fixtures running as a deep blue.

The thing to be aware of is mounting the IC Pro. The space between the 2 T5 units is only so big. It will need to be large enough to fit the IC and leave room for cooling. The bracket is 18” long to hold all 3. You can buy a 24” to give more room if needed. Also, the top of the IC may need to be drilled or modified to screw in using the AI brackets from the fixture.

I hope that made sense. It should not be too expensive. Down the road you would want to swap out the IC. It will not be strong enough.

OP
OP
Jeves360

Jeves360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jeves360

Let us say #WelcometoR2R

The current is a good light, people get results, I think it lags the power.

Let me know if this is what you are thinking. The 4” hybrid fixture. That should come with a hanging kit, no lights. The 2 Coral + on the outside, 2 Blue + on the inside, and your IC pro mounted in between the 2 t5 fixtures running as a deep blue.

The thing to be aware of is mounting the IC Pro. The space between the 2 T5 units is only so big. It will need to be large enough to fit the IC and leave room for cooling. The bracket is 18” long to hold all 3. You can buy a 24” to give more room if needed. Also, the top of the IC may need to be drilled or modified to screw in using the AI brackets from the fixture.

I hope that made sense. It should not be too expensive. Down the road you would want to swap out the IC. It will not be strong enough.

Thanks for the response. Thats actually exactly what I was thinking of doing to the T . I feel the same way about the IC Pro. Nice fixture but lacks power. I can be wrong but im sure the PAR readings aren't that great.

It also doesn't help that my tank has about a 3/4" glass up top as support for the tank im guessing. Im sure I am loosing intensity right smack in the center, and runs about 12" in each direction. Ive contemplated removing it but I am concerned with the tanks structual integrity at the center.

As for the fixture, I have an idea of rigging the IC Pro somewhat using the original screws and mounting bracket I have for them now that should work.

The lights might just fit with the 18" bracket that the hybrid ficture brings, but worst case I can mod something or buy the extended one. I love LED but theres something about the T5HO I miss. I know better Leds make a difference. I just cant dish out $1200+ on lights atm. But I'll do $300 for Fixture and bulbs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back