Currently sitting through a power outage....

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youtube the DIY reefer video about power outages! He's got some great tips.

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you are going through this, it ain't easy.
If you are able, a generator will give you priceless peace of mind.
I hope it works out well for you and your tank's inhabitants.

jenkinscrew2578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a power inverter for your car? If so use your car as a generator worse case and run an extension cord for at least your return pump. If you can add other equipment even better.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a power inverter for your car? If so use your car as a generator worse case and run an extension cord for at least your return pump. If you can add other equipment even better.

^ +1.

Power inverter is cheap and could keep your heater and a couple of powerheads moving, as long as you have gas for your car. Battery operated "loss of power" air pump is also a great thing to have.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No battery powered air stone, no power inverter. I am quite unequipped. :( so far I've just been stirring the water once an hour.

It's a 17 gallon with one clownfish and a bunch of inverts and corals. Temp is at 75.7 now but it's not cold out so I'm not sure how much further it will go down. Anything else I should do?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No battery powered air stone, no power inverter. I am quite unequipped. :( so far I've just been stirring the water once an hour.

It's a 17 gallon with one clownfish and a bunch of inverts and corals. Temp is at 75.7 now but it's not cold out so I'm not sure how much further it will go down. Anything else I should do?

75.7 isn't bad, but it most likely will drop more over time.

Do you have any way to make hot water? Do you have a thermometer ? If so, Run hot water and adjust it to 80 degrees. Fill a Tupperware container with a tight fitting lid less than half full and place it on your tank water in the DT. Watch closely the tank temp.

You will repeat this till the tank temp gets close to 77-78.

Also, don't just stir, agitate the waters surface till it makes some bubbles in the water.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know about where you are but around here Walmart usually has battery powered bubblers in the camping and fishing area.

Do you have a old Styrofoam cooler? Could break it down and place it on the sides of the tank and tape it place, leave the top open for air exchange of course.
If you get the bubblers you could try the hand warmers taped to the side of the tank, that was on that diy guys power outage video, never tried myself..

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The outage lasted 6 hours and we survived as far as I can tell. I just kept mixing the water every 45-60 minutes by filling up a cup full and dumping it into the tank from about a foot high.

Lesson learned, time to go shopping.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad you made it! :)

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew!! Great idea though.. I have a plug in my truck I can use in case this happens until I can get a generator.. thanks @jenkinscrew2578 ;) @Leyth im happy you made it through without a loss.. I can imagine it's scary.. I actually have been stressing over this situation for the last couple of months.. I live in the south.. we have lots of thunderstorms and such.. every time it gets bad outside.. I freak out.. I have a 75 and a 40 gallon so I will be screwed I do believe..

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pretty good luck using a computer uninterruptible power supply (ups). That I bought from office max. It won't run everything but it will run a heater and powerhead

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Yea, I have heard that a UPS battery backup made for computers won't work, but you really only need the heater and a power head going right? I wonder if it will work for my use case since my tank is just a 17 gallon and my heater is only 150w and my powerhead is a mp10 but I could just backup my aquaclear 20 instead.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 1 heater and a powerhead plugged into mine year round. The only problem I've ever had is it has a warning beep when the power goes out. Makes sleeping difficult. Other than that it works great

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back