CurrentUSA Marine IC Pro LEDs?

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 of these mounted about 6-8" above tank. I am hearing mixed reviews about these, does anyone use these currently or have used them in the past? I don't have a PAR meter to check PAR just trying to figure out if these are enough for a softie/lps reef tank. If you currently use these same lights post a pic of your tank!

The above link is just about all I can find on it. But on the diagram the light is right above the surface, mine is mounted about 6-8" above surface.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these on a 40 breeder in the past. They're not the best lights in the world, but they certainly will grow LPS and softies, and they'll even slowly grow most SPS if they're mounted six to eight inches under the water.
I never had an issue with these lights, and I think the storm effects are one of the coolest out there.

Edit: I did run mine fairly close to the water level when I had them, probably about 2-3 in above the tank.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these on a 40 breeder in the past. They're not the best lights in the world, but they certainly will grow LPS and softies, and they'll even slowly grow most SPS if they're mounted six to eight inches under the water.
I never had an issue with these lights, and I think the storm effects are one of the coolest out there.

Edit: I did run mine fairly close to the water level when I had them, probably about 2-3 in above the tank.
Lol sorry made me laugh, "they'll even slowly grow most SPS if they're mounted six to eight inches under the water." Haha, I'm sure you meant above the water.

I am really enjoying these lights as well, but just trying to figure out where to start placing my corals. I know the rule of thumb is softies at the bottom, lps bottom/middle, and sps in the upper rockscape. But didnt know if the par values for these lights were enough the follow this rule.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol sorry made me laugh, "they'll even slowly grow most SPS if they're mounted six to eight inches under the water." Haha, I'm sure you meant above the water.

I am really enjoying these lights as well, but just trying to figure out where to start placing my corals. I know the rule of thumb is softies at the bottom, lps bottom/middle, and sps in the upper rockscape. But didnt know if the par values for these lights were enough the follow this rule.
No, I meant if the SPS was mounted within 6-8 inches under the water.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How deep is your tank? If you have these lights mounted 2 to 3 in above the water, you should be fine down to about 20 in into the tank. I wouldn't mount anything lower than that. So consider the top 7 in inches SPS, the next 7 inches LPS, and then softies in the 14-21 inch depth range.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is 19" deep, I'll post a picture when I get home from work. I have my lights mounted using the middle slot on the bracket, I wanted to raise my lights up to the next notch so I can have more room to get into the tank. Water changes and such. Not sure how much light I will loose moving it up another inch or so.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is 19" deep, I'll post a picture when I get home from work. I have my lights mounted using the middle slot on the bracket, I wanted to raise my lights up to the next notch so I can have more room to get into the tank. Water changes and such. Not sure how much light I will loose moving it up another inch or so.
Yeah, not sure how much raising the lights will decrease the PAR... These lights are relatively weak so I always kept them close to the water and would just slide them back out of the way when I need to access the tank.

Slicknick420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive ran them on tanks in the past about 2-3" above the tank like @Reefer 71 said. had no problem growing lps, actually still have one on my biocube that has a 8" RBTA, blastos and a clown pair. blastos are growing like crazy and nem seems to be happy. i gave my ic pro setup to my buddy for his 75g and he has been growing lps and keeping rock flower nems with no issues. for the money i wouldnt say they are worth it but if you got them for a deal or its just what you have to work with its safe to say they will definatly grow corals if used correctly.
p.s.
dont bother buying their pumps or wavemakers, ive had so many fail in the past they are junk IMO. literally last a few months tops.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Slicknick420 .... The pumps are garbage and the whole hub system just has way too many cables than what is realistically necessary. 4 to 5 years ago the lights were priced aggressively but now there are better China box options for less than half the price that have better spectrum and Par.... But still, if you already have them, they'll work, the controls/timer functionality is good, and those storm effects are cool as hell especially paired with the Bluetooth hub and a set of speakers.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive ran them on tanks in the past about 2-3" above the tank like @Reefer 71 said. had no problem growing lps, actually still have one on my biocube that has a 8" RBTA, blastos and a clown pair. blastos are growing like crazy and nem seems to be happy. i gave my ic pro setup to my buddy for his 75g and he has been growing lps and keeping rock flower nems with no issues. for the money i wouldnt say they are worth it but if you got them for a deal or its just what you have to work with its safe to say they will definatly grow corals if used correctly.
p.s.
dont bother buying their pumps or wavemakers, ive had so many fail in the past they are junk IMO. literally last a few months tops.
Okay awesome, so I guess I won't raise them up another inch. I think the mount if I remember does 5in,6in,7in. I have them on 6in at the moment. And of course I am using the wavemakers :confounded-face:, I got 2 of the 1,050 ones. I have noticed it's hard to get the flow right on these. I'm still having trouble. I got both turned down to 20% on either side of my tank pointed towards the surface. One is on wave mode & other is on surge. I think one frogspawn may be getting too much flow as it doesn't look happy. Will post pics in about an hour.

Edit: If I've turned down the wavemaker power to 20% then that would mean I don't have enough water turn over right?

Agree with @Slicknick420 .... The pumps are garbage and the whole hub system just has way too many cables than what is realistically necessary. 4 to 5 years ago the lights were priced aggressively but now there are better China box options for less than half the price that have better spectrum and Par.... But still, if you already have them, they'll work, the controls/timer functionality is good, and those storm effects are cool as hell especially paired with the Bluetooth hub and a set of speakers.
Guess I'll just use these until they give out. Or maybe I will look into somehow adding an additional light to add to the current set up?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the numbers as far as turnover goes in the tank. What's important is having flow that makes the coral happy and to prevent dead spots.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and frag photos:

If you have any ideas on placement please let me know!

IMG_4568[1].JPG IMG_4569[1].JPG IMG_4570[1].JPG IMG_4573[1].JPG

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome, so I guess I won't raise them up another inch. I think the mount if I remember does 5in,6in,7in. I have them on 6in at the moment. And of course I am using the wavemakers :confounded-face:, I got 2 of the 1,050 ones. I have noticed it's hard to get the flow right on these. I'm still having trouble. I got both turned down to 20% on either side of my tank pointed towards the surface. One is on wave mode & other is on surge. I think one frogspawn may be getting too much flow as it doesn't look happy. Will post pics in about an hour.

Edit: If I've turned down the wavemaker power to 20% then that would mean I don't have enough water turn over right?

Guess I'll just use these until they give out. Or maybe I will look into somehow adding an additional light to add to the current set up?
Current's listed specs.
https://currentusa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/210054146/Orbit_Marine_PAR.png

BTW what is your tanks front to back measurement?
If 20" or so.. and lights are tight together 6" may not be too bad.

You "may" hit 100 par at 19" plus 6" = 25 effective inches with both lights @ 100%.
Only a rough estimate though..
Fits with their estimate. Keep in mind that is the sweet spot and going f/b l/r it will decrease though sometimes it will increase in front (and back) due to glass reflections.
Orbit_PAR.png

How wide and which model of light?

Depending on a number of factors raising an inch can lose more light than one expects. Good thing the diodes have 90 degree lenses.

SINCE you posted while I was writing this.. from a light standpoint.. don't see much out of tank spill so that is good.
Ideally most of the light needs to go in the tank.
Fine tuning this requires instruments ie. a par meter.

From there you can lower depending on par/species needs and placement.
THAT others can help you with..

Using a piece of white paper or cardboard ect you can determine where your light is going, inside or outside the tank.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a more comprehensive independent par table. See post #126

BTW there is a fairly large discrepancy between this and currents measurements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for fast replies! Tank is only 12 1/2" front to back, and I have 2 of the IC Orbit Pro's. Maybe a finger width apart. The lights did come with a little brace for me to sit them right above the lid but I would have to keep moving lights...

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a more comprehensive independent par table. See post #126

BTW there is a fairly large discrepancy between this and currents measurements.
This is awesome thank you. I have my setting more like the 2nd tank, so it is clear that I defiantly have to increase the power of the colors.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for fast replies! Tank is only 12 1/2" front to back, and I have 2 of the IC Orbit Pro's. Maybe a finger width apart. The lights did come with a little brace for me to sit them right above the lid but I would have to keep moving lights...
I know it sounds like an inconvenience but I think that's the way you should go. Putting these lights anymore than three to four inches over the water and I think you're severely limiting what they'll be able to do.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Math estimate shows anything over about 4 inches from light emitting surface to tank rim (or water line) is going to cut par by light spill.
But check with paper as I suggested..

As to the colors.. doubt if they contribute much in the way of par..
most of the par loss was going from 90 to 40% on the white channel.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sounds like an inconvenience but I think that's the way you should go. Putting these lights anymore than three to four inches over the water and I think you're severely limiting what they'll be able to do.

That's what I'll do, maybe start looking into other lights as well. Any recommendations? I already know about the fancy expensive brands.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'll do, maybe start looking into other lights as well. Any recommendations? I already know about the fancy expensive brands.
There are a few budget friendly options. I'm a big fan of the SmatFarm LEDs on Amazon. Great price and a solid solution.

There's a great thread here on R2R that discusses it's pros and cons:

Back