Cursed tank

bullmoose197

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In June 2020, I got back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus, I purchased a used tank for a local LFS which came with live rock, tank, stand, & sump. This tank was used as his "quarantine tank". Since then I have had absolutely nothing but bad luck with this tank. I have continuous Ammonia spikes along with loss of life, particularly invertebrates. It seems that this tank will not support copepods, macroalgae, scallops, most shrimp, and even some fish. It seems no matter how much live bacteria I add, the ecosystem refuses to establish. It has literally been 22 months of
losses.

Additionally it doesn't matter what coral I put in here, it never polyps out and dies in short order.

i have tried everything in the book, used different salt mixes, changed lights, use only rodi water from LFS, etc. Every logical thing one should do to/ with a tank, I do.

To say I'm at my wits end is an understatement. It's almost as if the live rock is contaminated. Please help.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that stands out for me to say is,was the lfs quarantine tank and it came with live rock ,do you know of they ever used copper in this quarantine tank ,or have you tested for copper or used any metal absorbing pads ?
As copper and invertebrates don't do well together at all.
If not copper then can be many things so for others to help you ,they going want to know your parameters ,how you acliminitise livestock,flow and lights I would of guessed .
Good luck and hope you get to bottom of your problems

OP
OP
B

bullmoose197

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that stands out for me to say is,was the lfs quarantine tank and it came with live rock ,do you know of they ever used copper in this quarantine tank ,or have you tested for copper or used any metal absorbing pads ?
As copper and invertebrates don't do well together at all.
If not copper then can be many things so for others to help you ,they going want to know your parameters ,how you acliminitise livestock,flow and lights I would of guessed .
Good luck and hope you get to bottom of your problems
Parameters one week ago According to LFS (I had been, yet again, dosing bacteria after an API test showed ammonia spike of 2.0)

Alk 9.4, mg: 1569, pH 7.9, ammonia 0.0, phosphate 0.1, Nitrite 0, Ca 414, Nitrate 22

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @ying yang , @Lbrdsoxfan and @Jeffcb said. If copper was used, the inverts and corals will not do well regardless the parameters.

Perhaps you can do a copper test to find out.
Now I think about it, get rid of it either way (regardless of copper). That rock and sand being used as a qt tank has all kinds of crap leaching into your water.

OP
OP
B

bullmoose197

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all who replied.

I had highly suspected copper as well after much trial and error.

Today I received the icp test results and they showed 1.189ppb of copper. Bingo.

Have been running cuprisorb since I took the sample on Thursday. My plan is to replace the rock and sand both.

Next question: if this had happened to you, how would you approach the LFS for resolution?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't blame them for knowingly selling a tank which wouldn't support life?
You bought a used tank that was running in a quarantine situation. Quarantine, meaning everything in that tank has seen everything and anything up to and including copper. It was probably a "deal" but as you found out, deals aren't always what they seem. Your post says you were previously into saltwater tanks, so you should of know the risk of using unknown quality of sand & live rock. I personally wouldn't use ANY LFS live rock or sand unless I can see that its in a chemical free system and then Id only consider the live rock for seeding purposes.

In the end, caveat emptor

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your LFS sold you this setup and it was knowingly exposed to copper and then proceeded to sell you a bunch of doomed livestock I'd be extremely upset.

OP
OP
B

bullmoose197

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought a used tank that was running in a quarantine situation. Quarantine, meaning everything in that tank has seen everything and anything up to and including copper. It was probably a "deal" but as you found out, deals aren't always what they seem. Your post says you were previously into saltwater tanks, so you should of know the risk of using unknown quality of sand & live rock. I personally wouldn't use ANY LFS live rock or sand unless I can see that its in a chemical free system and then Id only consider the live rock for seeding purposes.

In the end, caveat emptor
I suppose you're right. Taking it all to the trash this weekend. I'm done.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back