OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread, the story is funny and captivating!
My response is long overdue, but thanks for enjoying my thread. Hopefully you come back for updates and I can continue to make them as enjoyable!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can recall with my last system that my frag tank and my main system shared water supplies and both relied on 250W halides for light and the corals in the frag tank always looked better. Talk about frustrating! Good luck!

Great build thread too, it was a fun read.
Again, another response long overdue but thanks for taking the time to read my thread and your compliments. It is frustrating when the frag tank looks better than the display tank. I did some testing using Triton which showed some parameters out of whack and have since been trying to correct those in the display tank and seeing colors return. I will have to come back and share what I was doing wrong and how Triton testing help me correct things as I don't have time at this moment. Hope you come back and revisit my thread!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow beautiful job!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got home from work yesterday and noticed my return pump for the fish room set-up was not pushing much, if any, water into the tanks from the sump. Thankfully I purchased a spare pump years ago while on-sale and considered future maintenance with my plumbing. This was the first time I removed/replaced the pump since it was set-up in 2011 and it took me less than 10-minutes. After taking the pump apart to clean and inspect, I found pieces of foam causing the issue! I wonder if my little one had something to do with this as she loves to tear apart the foam packaging peanuts and Styrofoam from shipments and is always putting 'things' in the sump…:nono:

150415 008.jpg
150415 009.jpg
150415 010.jpg
150415 012.jpg

This is the exact thing I am worried about with my display systems as I do not have a back-up pump and the plumbing did not take into account removal and replacement of the return pump. :doh:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, kids are notorious for this kind of damage lol. I had 8 little rascals, so glad they are grown (most of the time)!

Nice save having an extra pump!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, kids are notorious for this kind of damage lol. I had 8 little rascals, so glad they are grown (most of the time)!

Nice save having an extra pump!
I can't image 8 little ones around a fish tank. One is more than enough and thankfully most of the stuff I see her throw in the sump are my plastic pipettes. My fear is someday finding pennies in there.:shocked:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you.... years ago when they were small I had a 300g. My now 32 year old, at the time was 9, decided she wanted to see a treasure chest in the tank. So one day she took the FW tank treasure chest and added it to the reef tank complete with all the silver coins and fake jewels she could find plus 3 "shiny" pennies. Luckily I was coming in from the yard and caught it seconds later! No damage was done but it could've potentially been a bad situation had I not caught it when I did ; ) What clued me in on it was that she was soaked with sw from trying to place them in the deep tank lol

Helenareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic thread and amazing tank!

I just spent the better part of my work day reading your and Jackie's tank threads, and I am now convinced I have to do a large peninsula tank. They just have so much appeal to me.

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read all 16 pages. Amazing story for sure. I love the end result, and hope my adventure is half as colorful as yours has been. Keep it up!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic thread and amazing tank!

I just spent the better part of my work day reading your and Jackie's tank threads, and I am now convinced I have to do a large peninsula tank. They just have so much appeal to me.

I really appreciate the time you took to read my thread and hope you didn't have anything pressing to complete at work! If you have the space, a peninsula is the way to go as it's almost like having two tanks with views that are each unique on each side. Thanks again for the compliment on my system.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read all 16 pages. Amazing story for sure. I love the end result, and hope my adventure is half as colorful as yours has been. Keep it up!

I am glad you enjoyed reading about my journey as it was a long one but worth the wait! Your compliments are a joy for me to read and hope my experiences can inspire you to enjoy and succeed in such an exciting hobby!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the time you took to read my thread and hope you didn't have anything pressing to complete at work! If you have the space, a peninsula is the way to go as it's almost like having two tanks with views that are each unique on each side. Thanks again for the compliment on my system.

+1! Hahaha, Todd (TJs Reef) once told me mine was not a thread it was a "blog" lollol! I would say the same for Tims :D Gosh that's a lot of reading! I do love my peninsula and agree they have a lot of advantages. But if you do one be sure that yours is at least 24" wide. I've had 18" and it just isn't enough width.

Helenareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1! Hahaha, Todd (TJs Reef) once told me mine was not a thread it was a "blog" lollol! I would say the same for Tims :D Gosh that's a lot of reading! I do love my peninsula and agree they have a lot of advantages. But if you do one be sure that yours is at least 24" wide. I've had 18" and it just isn't enough width.

I picked up a 180 that was/is just like the one you got...used and no holes. 72x24x24 for 200.00!

Next up, clean the tank and get to planning.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since setting up my 230G, I have had rare sightings of an elusive hitchhiker crab that I called 'Black Betty'. I could not photograph it before as it is very shy but today I found it's exoskeleton completely intact. I damaged it a bit while trying to remove it but the picture shows it is quite large. The legs are hairy and the claws appear to have flat spots at the tip were I have observed it picking at rocks, assuming it is picking at small amounts of algae. Anybody know what kind of crab it is? I assume it is reef safe as none of my corals show any signs of distress/damage and no disappearance of fish, as of yet...
IMG_1647.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back