Custom Aquariums Neenah WI

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using a Custom Aquariums rimmed aquarium?

I have a rimmed tank coming from them and they insist on using there padding beneath the tank to support the glass underneath? I always thought this was a huge no no in rimmed tanks. To my understanding, you dont want anything touching the bottom glass on a rimmed tank. They told me the padding holds the glass and gives more support.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As they are local to me, I know a few persons that have a tank from them and happy with quality

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my tanks are rimmed and I put BRS version of foam padding under them.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they are local to me, I know a few persons that have a tank from them and happy with quality
Local to me as well :) I am in Baraboo WI. I am not questioning the integrity, more the padding under tank which goes against what I thought, but what do I know? haha
Both of my tanks are rimmed and I put BRS version of foam padding under them.
Interesting, I always thought this was dangerous. I guess I could have been misinformed. But I read it on the internet on this forum! It must be right! /s

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had foam padding under my past 360g and have rubber padding under my 660g

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how the tank is built. *Usually, a rimmed tank will have the bottom panel floating, as in the side panels go all the way to the bottom and rest on the rim and not resting on the bottom panel. If this is the case, you definitely don't want pressure up on the bottom panel.

I have no idea about this specific company's design.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how the tank is built. *Usually, a rimmed tank will have the bottom panel floating, as in the side panels go all the way to the bottom and rest on the rim and not resting on the bottom panel. If this is the case, you definitely don't want pressure up on the bottom panel.

I have no idea about this specific company's design.

This is how I picture it as well because that is their reasoning for having the padding, to give support to this bottom panel.

I had foam padding under my past 360g and have rubber padding under my 660g

Is the bottom pannel floating?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Local to me as well :) I am in Baraboo WI. I am not questioning the integrity, more the padding under tank which goes against what I thought, but what do I know? haha

Interesting, I always thought this was dangerous. I guess I could have been misinformed. But I read it on the internet on this forum! It must be right! /s

Not padding but it was the styro insulation foam people were putting under them, the pink stuff. Because rimmed tanks put the weight on the frame the insulation would collapse under the rim only. The outside would collapse enough the insulation would push up on the glass. It would really depend on the thickness of the padding I guess. Rimmed tanks technically should not need one as long as they have enough contact space.

Allot of the tanks come with a mats now and I used them under my sumps too.

Also I have seen their tanks and they are nice. I am somewhat local too, most places around here carry their tanks.

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said the foam padding included with the tank needed to be used. I had a custom “rimmed” 210 built. I asked them why, as I’ve never used a pad on a floating glass bottom. And for that matter, they also said plywood needed to be used also. So stand, a full sheet of plywood, foam on top, then tank. I would have rather not used the padding, but did it anyways. It’s ugly as heck. Floating glass bottoms are only supported by the trim. And I argued that. And told them, wouldn’t it be bad to have any pressure pushing up on the bottom pane of glass. What do I know though. Haha. The tank is solid though. Good construction. Was shipped well. Customer service was great also. You do have to use their stand for the lifetime warranty. I did not. So all in all it probably doesn’t make a crap weather I used the foam pad or not.
My warranty is void anyways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said I the foam padding included with the tank needed to be used. I had a custom “rimmed” 210 built. I asked them why, as I’ve never used a pad on floating glass bottom. And for that matter, they also said plywood needed to be used also. So stand, a full sheet of plywood, foam on top, then tank. I would have rather not used the padding, but did it anyways. It’s ugly as heck. Floating glass bottoms are only supported by the trim. And I argued that. And told them, wouldn’t it be bad to have any pressure pushing up on the bottom pane of glass. What do I know though. Haha. The tank is solid though. Good construction. Was shipped well. Customer service was great also. You do have to use their strand for the lifetime warranty. I did not. So all in all it probably doesn’t make a crap weather I used the foam pad or not.
My warranty is void anyways.

Wow, I legitimately thought this was me posting. Exact same situation, I dont have their stand so I dont care about the warranty. I also do not believe using the foam pad is a good idea but they are insisting it is. But like you said, what do I know? I just know what I read online and it is consensus to use foam (that touches glass) under rimless only.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I legitimately thought this was me posting. Exact same situation, I dont have their stand so I dont care about the warranty. I also do not believe using the foam pad is a good idea but they are insisting it is. But like you said, what do I know? I just know what I read online and it is consensus is to use foam (that touches glass) under rimless only.
Yeah, I don't get it really. Now I have to figure out a good solution to cover up the foam. I'll probably trim it out in something when I skin the stand. Built a steel stand. I opted out of their plywood suggestion and used 3/4" HDPE sheet. I wanted something chemically inert and saltwater proof, with zero worries of moisture causing issues. Wish a sheet of that stuff was a cheap as plywood! lol

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't get it really. Now I have to figure out a good solution to cover up the foam. I'll probably trim it out in something when I skin the stand. Built a steel stand. I opted out of their plywood suggestion and used 3/4" HDPE sheet. I wanted something chemically inert and saltwater proof, with zero worries of moisture causing issues. Wish a sheet of that stuff was a cheap as plywood! lol

Ya I used plywood for my top. I am going to call about foam again haha.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I am considering using them for an upgrade and this concerns me. I don’t see how this is a good idea and every other company doesn’t do it.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think its ridiculous to have to pay extra for a cosmetically siliconed bottom. They never told me how their tanks come silicone wise. Never asked me if I wanted that option. I'm so glad i did some research and figured out how their tanks come stock. I would have been ticked if I received the tank and it came with that globbed silicon look.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see how this is a good idea and every other company doesn’t do it.
Miracles specifically calls for foam under their rimmed tanks as does GlassCages; I bet there are others.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are certain that the tanks should have the foam.
I would always follow the guidance of the tank builder .... certainly more than mostly uniformed opinions on a reef board :)

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracles specifically calls for foam under their rimmed tanks as does GlassCages; I bet there are others.

I would always follow the guidance of the tank builder .... certainly more than mostly uniformed opinions on a reef board :)

Right on. Thanks for your input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back