Custom Arduino Reef Controller - 90% complete

Captcarl7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally gotten to a point where I feel comfortable sharing the aquarium monitor/controller I am building. I still have a few more features to implement, but I'm finally in the home stretch.

I'll start with a screenshot of the app, and describe some of the features using that first. I used the "Blynk" library for arduino for now. This library makes it real easy to get values to a smartphone app via internet. You have to use their app to read/write data to the arduino, but it is super easy to get set up and they offer a ton of awesome buttons/graphs/etc. Google "Blynk for arduino" if you want more info on the app. I will probably move over to my own custom webpage/app down the road, but for now this has got me up and running. You can set it up to Email/Notify on phone via app/text you any custom alert for nearly any condition. No service charges, only cost is buying app from app store.

IyRgEIs.jpg

Functions:
  • Temperature - Graph displays tank temps (Orange/White) and Heater ON/OFF status (Green Bars)
    • Display Tank Temperature (Via DS18B20 probe)
    • Sump Temperature (Via DS18B20 probe)
    • Heater On/Off Status (Verified by current sensor on Heater power cord)
    • Heater Control Modes:
      • Auto - Heater is automatically controlled by relay to desired temp. setpoint
      • On - Heater is manually set to "On" (Will likely never use this)
      • Off - Heater is manually set to "Off"
dIkkVmv.jpg
  • Level/Pump Control -
    • Sump Level (Via Ultrasonic Level Sensor)
      • I use this to calculate the evaporation rate, giving me a ETA on next top off date
    • Overflow Level Alarms (Level switches mounted above the syphon/trickle drains in overflow)
    • Pump Flow rate (Via 1" in line flow meter on pump discharge)
    • Pump Control Modes:
      • Auto - If overflow alarm is activated, pump shuts off and alerts me via notification. Can restart via app, or wait until I get home to resolve
      • On - Pump remains in "On" state regardless of conditions
      • Off - Pump Remains in "Off" state
RDvYKJA.jpg
  • pH Sensor -
    • Live pH reading provided by Atlas pH probe (updated every 5 seconds)

• Enclosure -
    • I used an old cable box that I had laying around, and stripped out the internals. I replaced the existing LCD with a 16x2 LCD to display my data locally. I also replaced the back plate with a piece of acrylic, and mounted my own connectors to the back.
cJsNTlo.jpg

VRRg44l.jpg

(Ignore that it says "Room" instead of "Sump" on the LCD. I initially was measuring tank temp vs room temp, but have since switched to Tank vs Sump)

Any suggestions on tweaks/features I should add?

OP
OP
C

Captcarl7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done! Do you have a source repo we can look at?

As far as the app goes it's just purchased off app store. You essentially just send values to the Blynk server from the arduino and the app has built in widgets that present and organize the value. For example the graphs are simply a widget on the app that recieve a variable from the arduino and plot it. Pretty much all GUI is handled by the app.

The best way to understand would be to skim over the intro on the Blynk web page. I can post the Arduino sketch later this weekend. Just need to clean up some of the code before posting.

lucho79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news with this? What ultrasonic sensor are you using? I have a Reef Angel (arduino based controller) and wonder if I can add the sensor to it.
Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Captcarl7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news with this? What ultrasonic sensor are you using? I have a Reef Angel (arduino based controller) and wonder if I can add the sensor to it.
Thanks!
Using an hc-sr04 sensor. Less than $5. I was worried about corrosion but its held up for over a year and for the price I'll just replace it it ever fails

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice job. I really like the ui. I use the reef angel controller and I wish the app was better.

OP
OP
C

Captcarl7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool . Thank you for sharing
Do you plan to add lighting control etc ?
I currently have the Fluval Reef 2.0 lights, so they are just programmed via the Fluval web interface. I've thought about carrying the control over to this, but still haven't really made up my mind

OP
OP
C

Captcarl7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would really love an update and more details for this if you have the time!

I forgot I had this thread going. I'll try to make an update this week when I get a chance. I ended up getting a 3d printer so I made a custom enclosure for it. Also designed and ordered some custom PCBs to clean things up.

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on the project? since pi are in extreme shortage and where i am aqre selling more expensive than gold, a arduino based controller would be pretty cool and cheaper

Back