Custom lid solution for 40B

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my 40B doesn't have a lid, and I do have anxiety waking up every morning making sure all the fish are there. In the past I used the versa top lids but there were many things about them I didn't like. Based on the current configuration of my LED clamps, filter, cords, etc. I would need a custom solution. I looked at some vendors who make custom lids and the price was $250+ due to all the cutouts needed (not to mention the long production time). I'm hoping I can create a more economically feasible lid on my own. I've included a pic and diagram of the tank and would welcome any ideas or resources!

IMG_1305.jpeg Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 10.30.53 AM.png

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you called some local acrylic stores to get a quote for just the acrylic cutout? Then you can add a mesh/net in the middle if you want or keep the middle as solid acrylic.

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you called some local acrylic stores to get a quote for just the acrylic cutout? Then you can add a mesh/net in the middle if you want or keep the middle as solid acrylic.
I'm not aware of any local acrylic stores in the area, but I'll look into it. Is this something that most HD or Lowes stores can do?

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any local acrylic stores in the area, but I'll look into it. Is this something that most HD or Lowes stores can do?
I'm not sure about HD/Lowes tbh, I don't really frequent those places. I just know a lot of people in this forum seem to work closely with their local acrylic & glass shops for custom needs.

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna be picking up some plaskolite from Lowes. Can I use a box cutter to get it to size or will I need more heavy duty equipment?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a window screen kit is it feasible with the 4 cutouts I have listed?
No. Just go on BRS or pop into Lowe’s and get screen door material. They have 90deg elbows and straight pieces. Yes, you can make little notches like your picture above. I would guess the minimum size “notch” you can make is about 3”. The netting will be a little tricky there but not impossible. You will need:

the 90’s and straight pieces you want
some Net
A spline tool
Some spline.
A way of cutting it. If it’s the aluminum powder coated stuff- hacksaw, chopsaw/table saw/band saw with metal Blades.

you can but the little plastic clips that hold it on a rimless tank on Amazon. Just measure your glass thickness and purchase appropriately.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that one, but the reviews weren't great :/ so I wanted to explore other options
I"ll just say, I tried to go the DIY route myself buying things from Lowes and Home Depot. I got frustrated with it bought the Red Sea DIY kit and some extra corners for cutouts, and had it built in an hour. It's got everything you need including the spline tool. Was it a little pricey for what you get? Yes.

wezbow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

So I've done more or less the same with my Fluval Sea Evo 52l and custom clear acrylic lid.

They aren't cheap... But now I can use the Fluval Sea and Marine Nano LED (Bluetooth version)

One thing I realized is the extra weight the lid will introduce to the tank.

Stock lid and LED is around 1kg while new lid is 2.5kg so not sure if it's important but check the weight of the new lid you want to create if fully acrylic and whether you tank to support it.

It might be a non point but always good to think of different possible issues.

Attached the actual lid and my pro design haha

I went 1.5cm which in all honesty is a bit on the thick side but wanted to avoid potential bending in the middle.

IMG_20211116_155046.jpg
IMG_20211110_145000.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back