OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some amazing news. I have finally found vendors for everything local. From Acrylic to CNC work I am good to go. For the Acrylic, I have settled on a fantastic vendor who carries Arkema, a Domestic Cell Cast brand that is used with merit in the acrylic aquarium industry for it's high quality, good bonds, and clarity. VERY close to the physical product being done for everyone to check out. This design is my premium package, I will have an econ line for affordability that I will start on after this sump for my 150 is done. Price points for both are very competitive in the industry and I am proud to have done this all from start to finish. Please stay tuned, you will not be disappointed, from logo to design/quality.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A draft on the logo, don't know if I want to color in more and do holographic or leave it clear

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201105-223149_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20201105-223149_Snapchat.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Actually sourced an even better and more affordable CNC router for my production. I SIGNIFICANTLY decreased cost of manufacturing and am well under my original "at cost" calculations

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the top sump makers out there (many who sponsor in this group) use chemcast. It is pretty comparable to the generic arkema stuff you are looking at. Finding a regular supply of the exotic colors in arkema is going to be next to impossible unless you are buying full pallets...translation...$$$$...you better be ready either turn out a lot of these, or sit on massive amounts of acrylic...the hardest part for me has been getting a steady supply of the same brand of acrylic from one or two vendors...Laird is basically one of the biggest vendors out there and especially this year, they are taking a long time to get the stuff I am looking for.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the top sump makers out there (many who sponsor in this group) use chemcast. It is pretty comparable to the generic arkema stuff you are looking at. Finding a regular supply of the exotic colors in arkema is going to be next to impossible unless you are buying full pallets...translation...$$$$...you better be ready either turn out a lot of these, or sit on massive amounts of acrylic...the hardest part for me has been getting a steady supply of the same brand of acrylic from one or two vendors...Laird is basically one of the biggest vendors out there and especially this year, they are taking a long time to get the stuff I am looking for.
Really? That is very interesting, I contacted a couple like Banshea and they said they use domestic cellcast, as well as some weekend warrior sump builder blogs stating some bad experience with Chemcast. I am not against making a test sump out of that brand, and doing a side by side quality test. Thankfully I am getting a 4'x8' of Arkema for $150/sheet and my supplier keeps 40 in stock at all time for a big customer of theirs, just a bit of a drive to Detroit (2 hours) unless I have my more local branch keep some on hand for me

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CNC work is done though! Check out the videos and stay tuned for the finished product HOPEFULLY by this weekend, my sister ran a fever of 100.4 so my workshop is a bit inaccessible at the moment

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on how I am going to build the sump with the intricate baffles being bonded first. I want to get it right the first time so that I can form a process, I have talked to MelevsReef a tiny bit but can't find much otherwise

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly from hunting down Domestic Acrylic during an Acrylic Shortage (thanks pandemic), sourcing a reliable and reasonable CNC shop, as well as 3D designing all of this, it was a huge endeavor with a lot of time invested. I really can't wait to get this done, of course finding weld on 4 locally is near impossible, surprising for being in a somewhat large city and manufacturing hub

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool project you have going. I've messed around with making things out of acrylic for my tank as well (I have a laser engraver and cutter). One suggestion I would pass on to you is to think about putting a round chamfered edge on at least the top side of your cutouts. Not only will it give them a much nicer appearance, it would keep the edges from cutting into things... like skin sliding over them while working in the sump. Acrylic cuts suck. lol

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I noticed that with some of the baffles, the rim is entirely sanded and then polished by the shop that does the CNC work, and since the baffles are bonded on all 4 corners, I have my work cut out. Biggest problem now is finding Weld on 4 locally, OF COURSE lol. Will probably have to just order online. Do you have any experience with torch polishing corners?
Cool project you have going. I've messed around with making things out of acrylic for my tank as well (I have a laser engraver and cutter). One suggestion I would pass on to you is to think about putting a round chamfered edge on at least the top side of your cutouts. Not only will it give them a much nicer appearance, it would keep the edges from cutting into things... like skin sliding over them while working in the sump. Acrylic cuts suck. lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back