Custom tank question

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Having a tank made for me and it’s gonna be rimless. I was gonna have them mount plywood to the bottom since it’s going on a metal stand that doesn’t have a solid top. I myself am putting a second layer of plywood down just for precaution but was wondering where the self leveling mat plays into all of this. Do I still need one?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Having a tank made for me and it’s gonna be rimless. I was gonna have them mount plywood to the bottom since it’s going on a metal stand that doesn’t have a solid top. I myself am putting a second layer of plywood down just for precaution but was wondering where the self leveling mat plays into all of this. Do I still need one?

That would be a question best fielded by the manufacturer of your tank. Is the tank frameless as well? If so then it is generally suggested that you have some type of foam pad between the glass itself and the plywood or top of the stand. These suggestions vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer so once again, best to talk to them directly as going the wrong route could void any warranties.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood tends to not like getting wet. And I bet your plywood would be at risk. It would probably be a good idea to give the plywood a couple of coats of a water proof sealer.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the directions of the manufacturer to best preserve the tank ..... and the warranty. Always amuses me when people ‘think’ they know better, but of course rarely do.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the directions of the manufacturer to best preserve the tank ..... and the warranty. Always amuses me when people ‘think’ they know better, but of course rarely do.

well that’s the thing. I haven’t gotten any instructions. And every time I ask they say “well you can”.

either way I’m super stoked and if anything this post reminds me I need to get my ducks in order and questions answered before this thing gets built.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back