cutting eggcrate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tabasco1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
2,123
Reaction score
65
Location
Rocky Mountain High
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to cut eggcrate? Saw? Some kind of snip?

Thanks for your help!
 
Personally, I just use a pair of needlenose plies and break out the sections cleanly. Just as fast, clean, and easy as trying to actually cut it.
 
Perfect! I for sure have a hack saw. MIGHT have some of those pliers running around. Thanks for the responses!
 
alternative lifestyle pliers work the best- I just clip what I need, then close them and make a brushing motion with them to snap off the left over tabs.

Since our alternative lifestyle pliers always seem to wander off, I typically end up using bone cutters instead.


The black eggcrate is sturdy enough you can actually run it on a table saw if you have one, the white stuff tends to shatter though.
 
Screwdriver and a candle to smooth out the edges.

Sweet idea...never thought of that...thanks!

Personally, I just use a pair of needlenose plies and break out the sections cleanly. Just as fast, clean, and easy as trying to actually cut it.

Yeah cutting them are a PITA...i used needle nose pliers too and just carefully break the sections out.
 
Screwdriver and a candle to smooth out the edges.

I always have used a screwdriver. You can just break the first piece in the line you want and then just rip through the rest of the sheet in one brisk motion. Then a lighter or torch smooth out the edges from where the pieces broke off. Fastest way IME
 
Ummm, I am scared to ask what "alternative lifestyle pliers" are and where to get them hahaha! They only had the white, so that is what I am rolling with.

Love the lighter/candle idea. That is great to get rid of the sharp edges. Great information!
 
i use side cutting pliers, then sand with a palm sander. great idea with the flame and the screwdriver, will try that next time i cut some up.
 
I just use wire cutters to cut where I need. As long as they can cut butter, they should easily cut through the egg crate where you want.
 
alternative lifestyle pliers = dutch system for reclaiming land from otherwise ocean covered land. Not sure if it's a regional thing, but it's what I've always called (and heard called) 'diagonal' pliers out here
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new