Cutting Toadstool inside the tank?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Toadstool grows on a big rock. I want to propagate it but don't know how. Peole always take theirs out of the tank due to toxins these corals realease when cut. Is it possible to do it right in the DT though? I'll only frag a few small pieces.

20200226_103403.jpg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the picture doesn't show many other corals I don't think you have to worry too much.

Just take scissors and cut out what you want. You can either cut one big piece and then cut it into smaller pieces outside the tank or just cut a few small pieces off inside the tank. You should run carbon but it's not like a little slime will destroy your system. They self propagate all the time.

Lights are still off but here are some of my toadstool frags

8264B507-3041-4A2B-BCB6-7182C28DC780.jpeg

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the picture doesn't show many other corals I don't think you have to worry too much.

Just take scissors and cut out what you want. You can either cut one big piece and then cut it into smaller pieces outside the tank or just cut a few small pieces off inside the tank. You should run carbon but it's not like a little slime will destroy your system. They self propagate all the time.

Lights are still off but here are some of my toadstool frags

8264B507-3041-4A2B-BCB6-7182C28DC780.jpeg

Thank you and everyone! Should I glue them outside of the tank and how long can I leave them out water? I have Gorilla super glue/gel

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just keep em moist until glue drys i prefer rubber bands on softies over glue

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and everyone! Should I glue them outside of the tank and how long can I leave them out water? I have Gorilla super glue/gel

I think gorilla glue has something in it. You just want to use super glue gel (cyanoacrylate) if there is nothing in it it's overpriced as dollar store super glue works great. You have more time then you need. As mentioned they can be a real pain to attach. Keep them in low flow after you've glued them and accept that some are going to pop off. You can try and dry off the part you are going to glue. You can put them in rubble / large sand, or use the rubber band or just glue them.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I have tried to frag these it slips off and falls off and gets covered up in my sand bed. The most recent time I glued and rubber banded it and the rubber band forced the piece in two and it came right off... What am I missing here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back