Fragging Zoas in Tank

SaltyGroves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Blood Sucker Zoas that are growing over others. Can I cut these at the base right in the tank?

I’m worried the toxins will enter the water and harm the other life in the tank. Is this fear well founded?

IMG_4370.jpeg IMG_4369.jpeg IMG_4368.jpeg

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run carbon or a skimmer? Your tank looks small enough that you might not run either habitually...

Generally speaking the fear of zoa toxin is overblown, mostly thanks to a couple of high-profile accidents after hobbyists did some really dumb things. In a tank your size, zoa toxin is a mild concern, but not all zoas contain toxins. Even among those that do, fragging is not usually enough to release enough toxin to worry about.

A small water change or running carbon for a little while should be sufficient to handle anything. If you want to be extra careful, zoas can usually be gently pulled off the substrate and cut in a single spot, further minimizing the damage that you do. They don't really encrust like stony corals or even GSP do.

What you want to avoid is the complete crushing/disintegrating of zoa and especially palythoa polyps. That's what leads to most exposure, especially if you then subject the coral flesh to boiling temperatures that vaporize the toxins. If you're fragging in the tank, I don't think you need to worry about accidentally boiling them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have some Blood Sucker Zoas that are growing over others. Can I cut these at the base right in the tank?

I’m worried the toxins will enter the water and harm the other life in the tank. Is this fear well founded?

IMG_4370.jpeg IMG_4369.jpeg IMG_4368.jpeg
best t do this in a container of tank water to reduce the chance of low level toxins in your display

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can I cut these at the base right in the tank?
I hope you don't mean like using scissors and cutting the polyps.
That will probably cause a issue, plus kill the polyp.

Fragging zoanthids is usually easier done outside the tank.
I've always broke the rock they are on using a wood chisel and hammer, cutting inbetween the polyps.
If the rock is soft, then getting a blade under the polyp can be done.
You really don't want to damage the flesh.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve fragged zoas with a razor blade inside my display 100s of times. If I tried to frag 5 polyps I usually kill/destroy 1-2 due to the complexity of fragging underwater and such. But I always get a successful frag.

Toxins are ZERO concern. I’ve never once worried about them. Just wash your hands/arms and don’t touch your face. Pretty simple.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back