Cyano and Diatoms at the same time

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A close-up picture under white lights of the "diatoms" in question would be helpful. Given the descriptions, I'm not so sure they're actually diatoms. Could be dinos. Do you see anything on the rocks? Do you see any air bubbles trapped inside it?
I'm hoping for better lighting too

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice it coming back more in low-flow spots? Any beneficial bacteria is good, I haven't used microbacter specifically.
I think it’s reappearing where it was particularly heavy. So I’ll vacuum during the water change. The sand bed gets consistent flow and I have my powerheads on reef mode.

Open to suggestions for a bacteria.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A close-up picture under white lights of the "diatoms" in question would be helpful. Given the descriptions, I'm not so sure they're actually diatoms. Could be dinos. Do you see anything on the rocks? Do you see any air bubbles trapped inside it?
I’ll try to get a better photo. I keep thinking diatoms because they are “dusty” and only seem to be on the sand bed. I don’t have a microscope so to your point this is a pretty uneducated guess by a newbie (tank is around 18 months). No air bubbles.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back