Cyano and Diatoms at the same time

  • Thread starter Thread starter mike550
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
A close-up picture under white lights of the "diatoms" in question would be helpful. Given the descriptions, I'm not so sure they're actually diatoms. Could be dinos. Do you see anything on the rocks? Do you see any air bubbles trapped inside it?
 
A close-up picture under white lights of the "diatoms" in question would be helpful. Given the descriptions, I'm not so sure they're actually diatoms. Could be dinos. Do you see anything on the rocks? Do you see any air bubbles trapped inside it?
I'm hoping for better lighting too
 
Do you notice it coming back more in low-flow spots? Any beneficial bacteria is good, I haven't used microbacter specifically.
I think it’s reappearing where it was particularly heavy. So I’ll vacuum during the water change. The sand bed gets consistent flow and I have my powerheads on reef mode.

Open to suggestions for a bacteria.
 
A close-up picture under white lights of the "diatoms" in question would be helpful. Given the descriptions, I'm not so sure they're actually diatoms. Could be dinos. Do you see anything on the rocks? Do you see any air bubbles trapped inside it?
I’ll try to get a better photo. I keep thinking diatoms because they are “dusty” and only seem to be on the sand bed. I don’t have a microscope so to your point this is a pretty uneducated guess by a newbie (tank is around 18 months). No air bubbles.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new