EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9C5F9BAC-EAAF-4366-961B-CF5CB60ABA19.jpeg
Happy new year!

I was on vacation overseas last 2 weeks. The tank survived but of course something had to go wrong...there’s a patch of cyano?. Attached pic. It hasn’t spread elsewhere just yet.

I generally feed frozen food but had to set up 2 automatic feeders.

Long story short one of the feeders dumped basically all of the food and my Hanna ULR was blinking 200 (0.6) probably higher...generally less than 0.1. I did 3 large water changes 20%+. Fortunately all the Corals seem ok and somehow there was no ammonia spike either.

All my other parameters seem fine, I’ve also ran GFO and got phosphates down to 0.3. NO3 is elevated around 20-30 too (Lamotte).

I’ve been fortunate that over the years I’ve never had to deal with cyano before...any suggestions what to do before it spreads everywhere? Also just to be 100% can you pls take a look at the pic and confirm it is cyano. Appreciate all suggestions!

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me. If you get your nutrients back to where they were then it shouldn't come back. You can get rid of the current outbreak by manual removal if you don't have anything that will eat it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back