OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came back, but not as bad. It's just now starting to take a turn for the better. I added more flow a couple days ago and its disappearing on it's own now. Going to do a water change later today. I'll post pics when I do.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on March 4th you siphoned as much as out as possible.
It is now April 4th and you are saying it did come back but not as bad as the original? I can almost bet given a little more time it will come back as bad. I'm in the same boat currently. Battling and just trying to come to a strategy. I too siphoned out and it came back in the same place the same out over time..Probably a month.. Trying, like you, to not go with a chemical solution but dnm this is stupid.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We beat cyano about 98% of the time here, having cyano in a reef tank is optional.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there's benefit in careful dosing, timing, waiting to coax a tank into health, large tanks are hard to access-we want readers to know of the other options too which work fast

even dosers or nutrient balances kill back an invasion they leave the sand and rocks packed with original waste + new from the degrading target. If the overall current and exchange rate isn’t increased to eventually dislodge the detritus, next round is GHA

that above is simply a way to get rid of wastes, in one pass

Last edited:

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We beat cyano about 98% of the time here, having cyano in a reef tank is optional.

Thanks for the input and I have tried reading through that post and have no idea still what the moral is. Are you saying the best option is to:

-remove all the rock
-remove 80% of the water
-remove all the sand
-rinse the sand incredibly
-put sand back in
-put rock back
-put water back in and top of w/ new salt water

Thats kind of what I think the post is saying.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, the pages are just jobs of that being applied to show outcome patterns and we use those to shape future jobs.

we try and get all new water used where willing vs the capture and re use, that is an option to lessen the workload and sometimes change unwilling into willing so we get more work examples. ideally it’s new water on the setup, all of it. In case nano reefers are considering the job it’s best to change all the water.

The new clean setup needs to have lights re ramped up like new LEDs / not under full production levels. We would feed the corals directly and change the water and begin in/ out work, not passivity but sustained water changes a few weeks, as unplugged rocks will now express more waste to export.
other risks were incomplete rinse of sand, due to concern for bacteria or by using saltwater and running out. Use tap for two hours if that’s what it takes, last rinse is RO water. Rocks are only rinsed in old tank water or new saltwater, what happens to sand doesn’t matter as long as no clouding. This clean

12 yrs of corals are sitting out on the counter on dinner plates in this video, in the air. My rip cleans are the harshest of them all, corals aren’t offered water and sit in the air an average half hour during work, cold as jerky. We advise all others to keep them submerged at temps during surgery lol

Last edited:

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That’s what I gathered. I’m ripping all of the sand out. Screw that. Not putting it back in. I rinsed the crap out of when building the tank fresh a year ago. Started with new sand and all. I guess because I didn’t vacuum it I got a in trouble.

Of course one interesting point. I also started with ocean rock. I was getting a little GHA but nothing too crazy. I then added a few more “dry rocks” from an older tear down about 1 year into the life of this tank . These rocks had been acid washed and sat dry for about a year. I wanted to build my rock scape a little bigger so I thought I’d add these other rocks. Not 1 month after adding these rocks did the cyano appear. I swear to had to have introduced it somehow with those older rocks. Sucks. I think it’s been about 3 months now since adding them. Just not sure if it is coincidence or not. My sand is super cloudy right now if I stir it. I’m ripping it out and we’ll see.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a fts from just a few minutes ago. No major intervention on my part. Have not done a water change since the one mentioned earlier in this thread. Going to do that tomorrow. Also going to change up the lighting as it needs more light than the single mh.

20200404_160658.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good it's receding it seems

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good it's receding it seems

It is definitely dissipating. Kinda figured it would being such a young setup. Going to syphon out what I can tomorrow. After that, I plan on blowing out the rocks and sand at least once a week with a turkey baster and/or using a dedicated pump for the purpose. I don't have much free time to work on the tank these days. Been super busy at work.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to slightly highjack the thread - I feel we are battling the same issue at the same time. If you want me to create my own thread just tell. No offense will be taken..

So I kind of chickened out and did not rip everything out. What I did do is attach my "made-up-wand thingy" (if that's a word) to my wet/dry vac. Stuck the wand into the sand and power vac'd it like crazy. Although I did take some sand with it I really feel like I did a number on it. I was hoping to take more sand out. I would be happier if it did. The water that was in the wet/dry vac was dirty as H_LL though. Afterwards, I vigorously stirred the remaining sand to get everything into the water column. Changed all my filter socks good and set the powerheads on high, added some carbon and GFO and have let it go.

Below are some images now...

full

full

You can see what's left.. it was completely covering my sanded before this.

full

full

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great but it took a huge chance on crashing your system/fish, the non disassembly cleaning is the more dangerous mode but it doesn’t seem that way agreed, it’s too strange to think that disassembly is safer. Looks really great, and the detritus kicked up in the water was clearly oxygenated or you’d be posting a different outcome.

nice outcome here it will probably work fine this way with a few follow up runs, if anything was dangerous in your sandbed it would have already manifested. My sandbed too isn’t full of dangerous waste it was cleaned recently enough that if it did get kicked up nothing bad would happen.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open top not so much but overall your bed dynamics weren’t low oxygen. This in tank work will also be handy for measuring your invaders strength, if it’s not quite as set in as OPs cyano this cleaning run will hold. I still wonder if MT’s lighting is set too white vs blue it’s amazing how many challenges we see bolstered by bright whites

# of repeats also matters we can see

MTs first cleaning, came back equal. This recent one held a bit better. resolve to be physically removing the mat vs kill it off internally pays off

Last edited:

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-->measuring your invaders strength...can you please explain more of this statement?

Also - here is my Radion schedule to show WHITES vs BLUES in lighting if it helps.
full

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is from the sand rinse thread two or three posters had invaders/cyano or spirulina that were so powerful, even two rip cleans didn’t beat them. All the rest of the entrants were very high cure rate. There’s a small percentage of invasions that require extra measures beyond thorough removal, hope yours is the weaker strain

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate this back and forth conversation. I am skeptical this will remain gone. Maybe I am just pessimistic on this whole reeftank thing.

I too hope that MT has great success!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely dissipating. Kinda figured it would being such a young setup. Going to syphon out what I can tomorrow. After that, I plan on blowing out the rocks and sand at least once a week with a turkey baster and/or using a dedicated pump for the purpose. I don't have much free time to work on the tank these days. Been super busy at work.

I started at the beginning of this thread, racing through it once mention of Chemiclean came up (saying to myself Nooooo, don't do it!) so I am glad you held off. It is far too early in the biome maturation phase to start indiscriminately killing bacteria. Dosing Chemiclean in a low nutrient tank would remove cyano for sure, but only to have it replaced by dinoflagellates. Then you get to spend the next 2 months in the Dino thread and you don't want to be there.

So I like your plan. Blast it with a powerhead then syphon through a filter sock.

Assuming Amazon finally delivered your NO3 and PO4, I would work to get them 10-15 and .06-.1.

Otherwise let the biome do its thing.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank today. No rip clean. Didn't dose anything at all to combat this. Just let nature do it's thing. I did siphon the red slime out once but it came back. Decided against doing that after the first round because it came back so quick. Anyway, I'm happy with the progress so far. Tank seems to be coming along nicely:)

This is March 2nd
20200304_162516.jpg

And this is today
20200427_154437.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank today. No rip clean. Didn't dose anything at all to combat this. Just let nature do it's thing. I did siphon the red slime out once but it came back. Decided against doing that after the first round because it came back so quick. Anyway, I'm happy with the progress so far. Tank seems to be coming along nicely:)

This is March 2nd
20200304_162516.jpg

And this is today
20200427_154437.jpg

You should be proud. That shows some patience with -- and faith in -- your biome doing its thing.

Go and spread the gospel of letting your new biome do its thing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back