Cyano,Dinos,GHA. WHAT IS IT. id please

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my parameters are in check. i dont know for sure its been many years since i saw cyano. but i think i killed of my diatoms and it seg-wayed into cyano but during that i had a alk swing that ticked off my corals and i think a algae or bacteria problem is why they aren't coming back faster or even at all. im gonna post two pictures these are the best i can get to display what's going on there is some sort of red brown matte and i don't know what it is i assume cyano but i want some other opinions before i go treating it. If it is cyano can it negatively effect coral even if its dyeing off. i don'thave the token carpets of it on the rocks or sand bed so that's why im hesitant.
cyano 2.jpg
cyano1.jpg

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i was doing was feeding mysis 2 times a day to keep the phosphate above .03 and it seems like dinos but something is ticking off my coral and i cant figure it out i been through every facet of the hobby tryna figure this out. i feel like there could be a possibility of cyano but i could be wrong

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your parameters were in check but if your water specs, lights and flow were all in check you wouldn't have nuisance algae unless your tank is new and ugly phases are part of the maturing process.

How old is the tank? What are your complete water parameters? What is your light schedule? What do you use for flow?

Could be dinos but hard to tell and microscope needed for positive id

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back