Cyano, Dinos with Hair Algae

teo8040

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 135 gallon tank with 2 power heads, 1 gyre, Hydra 64’s, and a Bubble Magus skimmer.

The system is now exactly one year old from being set up. Have several soft corals, LPS, and SPS which are all doing fine except a Captain America zoanthid frag that got suffocated to death by the dinos. Went through the diatom phase in the beginning and until August, there were no problems with nuisance organisms. There has been a small patch of Cyanobacteria that never really grew so I didn’t really worry about it. August to mid September my tank maintenance slipped as school started and I stopped doing weekly water changes with testing. Late September, Cyanobacteria took over the tank. Spent some time trying to lower nutrients but eventually the cyano was knocked out with GFO and small water changes but larger 35-40 percent weekly water changes got rid of the Cyano. All of the large water changes and GFO in a reactor eventually led to under 0.02 to undetectable phosphate and undetectable nitrate on the Hannah checkers. This led to dinoflagellates taking hold of the tank. I got a microscope and ID them as prorocentrum. What really set them back was the Dr. Tim’s Dino guide which I started in mid December. Now, the dinos are not really as wide spread nor do they grow very quickly. What dominates the tank seems to be a green haired algae but there are still small leftover patches of dino. I want to lower nutrients to get rid of GHA but don’t want the dinos to spread. If i keep nutrients up, the GHA keeps growing. Tried to continue dosing Dr. Tim’s Refresh and Waste away with the lights on but with no help. What can I do from here as I keep getting angry at looking at an ugly tank for the last 4 months?

As of 12/31/2022,
Red Sea Coral Pro salt
Alk-9.8 Hannah
Cal-450 Red Sea
Mag-1350 Salifert
Ammonia-0.00 API
Nitrite-0.00 API
Nitrate-10 Hannah
Phosphate-0.08 Hannah
Several Photos below.
Second to last photo, Dinos evident
Last photo, prorocentrum under microscope
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
510E1EFB-A6D9-4A80-AF02-4371428FF621.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I have a 135 gallon tank with 2 power heads, 1 gyre, Hydra 64’s, and a Bubble Magus skimmer.

The system is now exactly one year old from being set up. Have several soft corals, LPS, and SPS which are all doing fine except a Captain America zoanthid frag that got suffocated to death by the dinos. Went through the diatom phase in the beginning and until August, there were no problems with nuisance organisms. There has been a small patch of Cyanobacteria that never really grew so I didn’t really worry about it. August to mid September my tank maintenance slipped as school started and I stopped doing weekly water changes with testing. Late September, Cyanobacteria took over the tank. Spent some time trying to lower nutrients but eventually the cyano was knocked out with GFO and small water changes but larger 35-40 percent weekly water changes got rid of the Cyano. All of the large water changes and GFO in a reactor eventually led to under 0.02 to undetectable phosphate and undetectable nitrate on the Hannah checkers. This led to dinoflagellates taking hold of the tank. I got a microscope and ID them as prorocentrum. What really set them back was the Dr. Tim’s Dino guide which I started in mid December. Now, the dinos are not really as wide spread nor do they grow very quickly. What dominates the tank seems to be a green haired algae but there are still small leftover patches of dino. I want to lower nutrients to get rid of GHA but don’t want the dinos to spread. If i keep nutrients up, the GHA keeps growing. Tried to continue dosing Dr. Tim’s Refresh and Waste away with the lights on but with no help. What can I do from here as I keep getting angry at looking at an ugly tank for the last 4 months?

As of 12/31/2022,
Red Sea Coral Pro salt
Alk-9.8 Hannah
Cal-450 Red Sea
Mag-1350 Salifert
Ammonia-0.00 API
Nitrite-0.00 API
Nitrate-10 Hannah
Phosphate-0.08 Hannah
Several Photos below.
Second to last photo, Dinos evident
Last photo, prorocentrum under microscope
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
510E1EFB-A6D9-4A80-AF02-4371428FF621.jpeg
Looks like procentrum Dino which occurs when nitrate and phosphate is bottomed out, however with algae those levels are generally elevated
I would first eliminate Dino with method below which will due to no white lighting weaken hair algae
First pull as much hair algae as you can by hand then:
blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with that much GHA you are probably producing much higher nitrates. It is just a phase, get a stiff bristle brush and brush off your rock before a water change. I got some emeralds and some snails and a couple urchins. they helped me with the battle. Oh and read my post for some inspiration....

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back