Cyano: Leave it or clean it

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my tank is a bit different so cyano is cyano, helps me judge where my nutrients are at, in the cube end, pretty much non in the display. ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my tank is a bit different so cyano is cyano, helps me judge where my nutrients are at, in the cube end, pretty much non in the display. ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg
I think the nutrients are perfect, the Cyano just found a really tasty bit of coral skeleton to feast on ;)

wmwesty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a little under 2 months old and Im getting a carpet of Cyanobacteria as well as on the rocks. Tank is cloudy but fully cycled. Lights are running on normal cycle given that I have coral. 6 fish currently in the tank feeding every other day.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0-5 (Using API, hard to distinguish)
PH - 8.2
Phosphate - 0.01 (Tested with Hanna)
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 76.0-76.5

Tank has been cloudy for 3 days now, not sure if I should leave the tank untouched and continue with 15% water changes every other week or try a black out/water change. I tossed a media bag full of carbon in the tank two days ago but have seen little improvement in clarity. If it's just going to run its course as part of the new tank cycle, I don't mind leaving it. Just want others opinions for peace of mind.
Why are you only feeding every other day, how would you feel on no food, the nutrients need to be higher so feed more, you will probably need to use chemiclean as it’s very hard to clear on it’s own ,!,

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you only feeding every other day, how would you feel on no food, the nutrients need to be higher so feed more, you will probably need to use chemiclean as it’s very hard to clear on it’s own ,!,

I often do 24 hour fasts so...

I understand the nutrients need to be higher but dumping food in there to help build the nutrients is also a great way to get an ammonia spike.

The tank is starting to clear itself of both the cloudiness and the Cyano. Figure it’s just part of new tank syndrome.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often do 24 hour fasts so...

I understand the nutrients need to be higher but dumping food in there to help build the nutrients is also a great way to get an ammonia spike.

The tank is starting to clear itself of both the cloudiness and the Cyano. Figure it’s just part of new tank syndrome.
I do agree that feeding the fish every day is a good idea. I feed mine at least 2 times a day. When I had Anthias I would feed 6 times a day.
Fish can survive that way, but I feel it makes them more susceptible to diseases. In the ocean most fish in the hobby are constantly grazing. Not true of all of species, and it is probably less important to feed regularly once they have more to graze on like algae, amphipods and copepods.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, what is considered to be" the new tank syndrome" is caused by ammonia poisoning due to insufficient carrying capacity, insufficient TAN reduction capacity. In that case, the tank was not cycled and not propperly conditioned afterward. This often happens if the carrying capacity was mainly based on organic carbon availability and fast growth and autotrophic carrying capacity ( nitrification capacity) are limited available.
It often happens if the "brownish phase" during the first cycle of a new setup tank has not been completed and the brownish was removed or eliminated due to human intervention. It is often promoted in commercial promotion videos to replace nature with all kinds of expensive products not really needed. Often such products contain organic carbon.
If it is a bacterial bloom this is caused by fast-growing heterotrophs, r-strategists, needing DOC. They only can grow fast if using ammonia-nitrogen as a nitrogen source and will create a high BOD.
As fast-growing bacteria use ammonia-nitrogen, all bacteria including cyano prefer ammonia -nitrogen , they support heterotrophic carrying capacity but also will prevent sufficient autotrophic capacity may be installed.

About removing cyano

Cyano is a very good bio-filter. They store a high phosphorus reserve and harvesting them helps controlling nutrient availability. Cyano growth is limited by light intensity. ( ref: CMF de Haes 2018)
Using chemical cyano removers will bring most of it back into the system to be recycled and reused. Benthic Cyano grows in microbial mats containing a huge diversity. Most cyano is photo-autotrophic, symbiodinium are also photo-autotrophs but are dino. What kills cyano will kill a lot more.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back