Cyano nutrient loop (catch 22)

• Thread starter 154162
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OP
OP

View Badges
Thanks for all the response!
Yes, ok so main Consensus is up the nutrients...
how easy and fast would it be to rinse out your sandbed, replace the water, and put a 13 gallon back together
Haha not that fast, definitely not looking to rip it apart anytime soon, unless when I move house, appreciate the input though

Zero is bad just like it is for our savings account :D

Yes been trying to avoid it zero in the tank, and my corals also got me at zero in the bank!

I see cyano as a "transitional" outbreak. I went through it several times after transitioning out of dinos
The tank has a had a few slight transitions as it’s still a young tank, I’ve got a bit of biodiversity but feel like it’s still growth spurt
can we see pics of the reef

Here’s she is (added a blue lights so I could show off my coral too;)
evidentially it’s more in the low flow areas of the tank... don’t have more flow to add, and right now my powerhead is catering to some needy sps
8F0EA660-8C10-42A7-B6AC-D0125D5C9001.jpeg
5C163A53-2BDB-44F1-A62D-1CF737E6C928.jpeg
20ED6223-3603-4AC8-B97D-4368D6A5B228.jpeg

Its not really that they come from low nutrients - they thrive on imbalance.
Yes not the first time imbalance comes up, also heard specifically with no3 and po4

Just wandering what the secret recipe is for the ppm‘S while this stage of growth is happening in my tank, will probably get a hold of some brightwell nitrate and phosphate

OP
OP

View Badges
What about water changes? Should I hold off or keep doing them weekly, I find them To be the best time to remove the slime

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not really that they come from low nutrients - they thrive on imbalance. Many cyano species can fix atmospheric nitrogen - they just pull dissolved N2 out of the water - so they have a huge advantage when nitrates bottom out. Some also can create areas of low pH when they matt - which allows them to dissolve the surface of rock and release phosphates. They get outcompeted by things like coralline when the tank is healthy - but if you cripple the coralline and corals - cyano and dinos and all these primitive edge consumers have a huge advantage.

This whole idea that "your nutrients are zero because the algae is eating them so fast" needs to die a thousand deaths. The nutrients are zero because water quality is fine and the algae isn't being caused by a water quality issue - its being caused by localized waste, and lack of competitors.

@92Miata Best explanation of cyano I have seen in a long time! This makes sense from all angles. I've had cyano with low and high nutrients... it's always been the imbalance that sets them off. The ph comment is very interesting... I've never heard that before, but makes good sense. Thanks for the input!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some very experienced reefers here deploy H2O2 with considerable comfort. It is a very efficient oxidizer, but a rather indiscriminate one from my understanding. I am unclear about how to know when the positives of dosing outweigh.

Some European reefers dose peroxide with an oxygenator. Seems to me it would have to be coupled with an oxygen meter. @atoll can you help with this discussion.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back