Cyano or Dynos

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that some that leave during the night and come back as lights on for a bit are burrowing, not going into water column. Lol so many variables. I'm down to try UV also. I'll try anything to fix this lol. Given that Vetteguy's method is only 5 days long. I see no issue in trying it out, and if it doesn't work I'll pick up UV. Do you know what kind of dinos you had? Did you ID with microscope by any chance? I haven't read the 700 page new dino thread, but I'll get started on it now. Read another 9 page carbon dosing for dino thread. So much to read lol.
I did not "ID" mine but because they absolutely were gone at night and came back during the day, I was sure I had osteoporosis.
I ran my UV day and night for a couple weeks then only at night for a couple more months. I was dosing hydrogen peroxide at 1ml per 10 gallons also. They have been gone for some time now and a don't run a UV anymore.

I have never heard of them burrowing. That sounds a little ridiculous that they would actually go into the sand. There are types that are on the bed but I really don't think they burrow either.
Can you paste here where you read that? I would like to read about this.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon dosing and most common species (amphi and ostreo and even cyano)
Out of curiosity, why no carbon dosing? It seems like it could help to boost the bacteria we're dosing? Have you had other reefers try both ever? Did non carbon dosing work better? Or is the no carbon dosing specific to me since my nutrients are close to 0 (some days 0)

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not "ID" mine but because they absolutely were gone at night and came back during the day, I was sure I had osteoporosis.
I ran my UV day and night for a couple weeks then only at night for a couple more months. I was dosing hydrogen peroxide at 1ml per 10 gallons also. They have been gone for some time now and a don't run a UV anymore.

I have never heard of them burrowing. That sounds a little ridiculous that they would actually go into the sand. There are types that are on the bed but I really don't think they burrow either.
Can you paste here where you read that? I would like to read about this.
So you're suggesting Osteoporosis is the only one that leaves at night and comes back during the day? I thought I had heard of more, but there is so much info, it's hard to sort in my mind. I want to make a spreadsheet lol. I wonder if someone has a spreadsheet with images etc about each species or a thread that's concise ? Is it Tachira who seems to know a lot about these species in other threads? I'll try to find her (maybe my spellings off, tagging not coming up) @tachira

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Out of curiosity, why no carbon dosing? It seems like it could help to boost the bacteria we're dosing? Have you had other reefers try both ever? Did non carbon dosing work better? Or is the no carbon dosing specific to me since my nutrients are close to 0 (some days 0)
It also lowers nitrate level and phosphate already low.
Get rid of flagellate cells the
It will be fine.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're suggesting Osteoporosis is the only one that leaves at night and comes back during the day? I thought I had heard of more, but there is so much info, it's hard to sort in my mind. I want to make a spreadsheet lol. I wonder if someone has a spreadsheet with images etc about each species or a thread that's concise ? Is it Tachira who seems to know a lot about these species in other threads? I'll try to find her (maybe my spellings off, tagging not coming up) @tachira

@ScottB put together a nice article compiling and organizing a lot of the information out there.

Here's a thread with a PDF Dino ID guide by taricha

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB put together a nice article compiling and organizing a lot of the information out there.

Here's a thread with a PDF Dino ID guide by taricha

Ok so looking at the identification guide. It appears I may have prorocentrum. Anyone able to confirm this? I see no curved beak like LCA or SCA, no almond shape like Ostreopsis, not round like Coolia.

Attachments

• CE964C8D-9FA3-486E-994D-9A8887534712.jpeg
    CE964C8D-9FA3-486E-994D-9A8887534712.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ACC4E5B6-8730-40CF-B0B8-003525CB66C7.jpeg
    ACC4E5B6-8730-40CF-B0B8-003525CB66C7.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 5FB945EC-CC71-4652-A8C7-1B77DB34E37A.jpeg
    5FB945EC-CC71-4652-A8C7-1B77DB34E37A.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 11AE7058-EB93-4A90-AA5D-FD16A852BAAA.jpeg
    11AE7058-EB93-4A90-AA5D-FD16A852BAAA.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 17

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon dosing and most common species (amphi and ostreo and even cyano)
You did not name Prorocentrum. Does it treat this type also? Taricha PDF suggests UV with change in conditions to get them into the water column “like short blackout”. What are your thoughts on this? I’m willing to buy a UV if needed. Obviously prefer not to drop $400 on 55w but will do it if needed lol

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also lowers nitrate level and phosphate already low.
Get rid of flagellate cells the
It will be fine.
Btw do you have a single thread where everyone can track and discuss this h202/bacteria/10% blue light method? Would be nice to discuss more of the details in one place like other methods.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm not suggesting only one leaves at night and comes back during the day. I said that was the one I think I had.
I'm saying if you do have one that enters the water at night, your best bet is to use a uv.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so looking at the identification guide. It appears I may have prorocentrum. Anyone able to confirm this? I see no curved beak like LCA or SCA, no almond shape like Ostreopsis, not round like Coolia.
This is the one they say dose silicates I believe and is the worse one to get.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You did not name Prorocentrum. Does it treat this type also? Taricha PDF suggests UV with change in conditions to get them into the water column “like short blackout”. What are your thoughts on this? I’m willing to buy a UV if needed. Obviously prefer not to drop $400 on 55w but will do it if needed lol
No because its the least common of the typical varieties of dino and has same behavior of amphidium and can colonize on any surface. Treated by same method given.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Searching for help with dinos. I've seen you post this couple of times. How often does this work brotha? I'm trying this carbon dosing method from this thread. Any thoughts on it? https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagelates-a-disruptive-treatment.926454/page-10#post-10843315 I can't remember if you commented in it. It's 9 pages so I don't want to read through again haha. What about trying both methods at once? And/or UV lol. Will post photo below of the dinos I'm dealing with.
It does and has helped many. Its quick and effective and cleared my tank easily in 4 days but I went 6 days.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does and has helped many. Its quick and effective and cleared my tank easily in 4 days but I went 6 days.
Ok thanks. You should make one big thread on this method so we can battle test it and get lots of feedback and more specific details so people aren’t asking same questions over and over on different threads lol.

does it harm sps, shrimp, pods, or snails etc

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok thanks. You should make one big thread on this method so we can battle test it and get lots of feedback and more specific details so people aren’t asking same questions over and over on different threads lol.

does it harm sps, shrimp, pods, or snails etc
No - safe. here is a before and after pics in a 660 gal when It happened:

BEFORE:

1670809460589.jpeg
1670809501242.jpeg

AFTER:

1670809566107.jpeg

Day 3:

1670809640898.jpeg

Day 10:

1670809701407.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bro make a master thread about this lol :) This could be really helpful to a lot of people.
A lot of people have done this step and succeeded. Problem with a thread is too many have their own method and practice and it will be a challenge thread opposed to informative

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people have done this step and succeeded. Problem with a thread is too many have their own method and practice and it will be a challenge thread opposed to informative
But challenges are good for us to build knowledge :) I understand though, sometimes things get political on R2R ha.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back