Cyano or something else? How to deal with

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Few weeks ago part of my tank started to have this purple film and I think it is cyanobacteria. It looks like that but I don't know why I have it. Water parameters:
ph 8.2
alk 7.5
phosphate 0.07
nitrates 2-5 (difficult to read color)
ca 520 (I know it is too high)
mg 1230
salinity 1.025

I feed my fish frozen food only, twice a day to not dump whole food at once. I don't know if I am overfeeding them since I don't really know what does it really mean. All food is gone, fish eat a lot and I don't see any food laying on the sandbed after few minutes. That part of the tank has the lowest flow rate but it doesn't mean it doesn't have it at all. Flow is normal. I have few SPS on top, near power head and this red film is also there, in the highest flow. I change around 15% of water each 1-2 weeks.

Short clip showing the situation https://photos.app.goo.gl/FNWGKvKepj2iyzAB9

I don't know what to do, I am migrating the whole tank in a month to bigger one and I don't know if there is a point to deal with it anyway. Please advise.

myinvalidname

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano. Is it in a low flow area? Looks like it could be. Increased flow usually will help.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 75g tank. I have 2 jebao powerheads on opposite sides. Flow is the lowest but it is not zero. I cannot really reaarange the flow.
Well, for what it is worth, increasing flow is one of the easiest, most effective ways to combat Cyano. Ultimately though there is something fueling it. Find it, fix it, and it will go away. All of the parameters you posted look ok. I personally keep Mag a bit higher, like 1350-1400, but otherwise I see no issues.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back