Cyano Outbreak...best cure?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been dealing with a small Cyano outbreak the last few months that I cannot seem to win the battle. I will siphon it out with a water change, and 24-48hrs it returns in the same spots. I was wondering what others have done to make it go away. Here is a overview of my tank and parameters:

90GL Tank with overflow
(2) Gyre 2K wavemakers
UV Sterilizer
Protein Skimmer

Phosphate and Nitrate tests (Hanna) are both testing at zero and have been at those levels the past year since I set the tank up.
Corals are growing, no issues. Wondering if the tank is low on nutrients. I do dose aminos once/wk.

Only thing different that I am aware of it I switched from Fritz Salt to Reef Crystals. I store my saltwater in 5gl containers. When I did recent water changes, I noticed the brown residue in the holding containers. I have now switched back to Fritz Salt to avoid the known brown residue when storing water. i am wondering if I introduced somthing into the tank during recent water changes.

Anyway, i was what others have done successfully to get rid of the Cyano...Thanks for any advice in advance.

Last edited:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
params? stockings?
I have been dealing with a small Cyano outbreak the last few months that I cannot seem to win the battle. I will siphon it out with a water change, and 24-48hrs it returns in the same spots. I was wondering what others have done to make it go away. Here is a overview of my tank and parameters:

90GL Tank with overflow
(2) Gyre 2K wavemakers
Phosphate and Nitrate tests (Hanna) are both

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is fueling it. No3/po4 tested levels dont give a good picture bc the cyano has already absorbed it.

Most likely due to dirty sand (deep clean, or rip clean is feasible).

Get something else to outcompete - fuge/ats?

Making sure ur nutrient export matches the size and bioload of your stocking. - remember fish grow bigger and poop more.

All else fail get chemiclean followed by large WC but remember this would only be temporary. Unless underlying factor is addressed (ie. Dirty sand), it will return.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back