Cyanobacteria Chemclean

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad,

I've just done a dose of Chemclean for cyanobacteria. Would it make any difference if I left lights out for the first 24hrs? Would it help, or is it pointless?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter. Cyano isn't an algae, but bacteria. ChemiClean is erythromycin, am antibacterial..
Can I do another half dose, at the 48hr mark, if I dont see any significant difference?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should wait.
You will notice improvement around 72 hours.
Make sure you remove what you can prior to treatment.
If you turn off the skimmer you should add another source of O2.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should wait.
You will notice improvement around 72 hours.
Make sure you remove what you can prior to treatment.
If you turn off the skimmer you should add another source of O2.
I sucked out as much as possible prior. I'm approaching the 48 hour mark. My skimmer is still running without a cup currently

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Reefsquadleaders
Doesn't matter. Cyano isn't an algae, but bacteria. ChemiClean is erythromycin, am antibacterial..
So, at 72hr mark. It seems to be 75% better. Rock work has cleared up etc. But sand bed persists.

I did a large water change prior to first dose. Sucked out as much as possible, aswell as sucked off rock work etc.

Would you do a second dose?

Did large 20% water change, then, I've added new carbon, and put that reactor back online, UV is back on aswell. At the 72 he mark.

Contemplating a second dose? I've also just introduced a ATS into my system that I've recently built. This problem is stemmed from stupid Vibrant dosing for Bryopsis that came in on a snail.

What are your thoughts on dosing Fluconazole for Bryopsis @ndrwater. Take care of Bryopsis and will raise nutrients. Might help, or no?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do one thing at a time.. using ChemiClean, WITH Fluconozole might have negative effects.
I would hate to crash the system because of a little extra time.
I would work on one issue at a time, give the system a chance to recover, and then move on to issue #2.
There have been MANY a reefer who did several usually innocent things together to create one massive problem.
Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is one of those things that seem to come and go as well. I am generally not of the mindset that goes in for the chemical fix, but rather look for the root of the problem and fix that. Everything else will work itself out..

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do one thing at a time.. using ChemiClean, WITH Fluconozole might have negative effects.
I would hate to crash the system because of a little extra time.
I would work on one issue at a time, give the system a chance to recover, and then move on to issue #2.
There have been MANY a reefer who did several usually innocent things together to create one massive problem.
Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only after replacing carbon, letting the skimmer go bonkers for a bit, and making sure that all traces of the 1st dose were gone. This also gives time to see if the Cyano is truly still there, or just "sorta" there.. if is just sorta, no, I wouldn't.
Now if the Cyano comes back with a vengeance, then absolutely. But... I would still make sure all of dose one was out of the tank 1st..

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back