Cycle help

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed ammonia, and microbator 7 about 14 hours ago. My ammonia was between 1.2-2(tested with Red Sea kit). It was a little darker then the 1.2 last night. Today I decided to try out the Hanna nitrate tester, kind of get a feel for it, thought I would get zero honestly, but got 4.5ppm. After I decided to test ammonia again, it seems to be right at 1.2, so maybe a little change. Does this seem right, seemed a little fast to me to have nitrates. I started with rock that I had in a system I had 8ish years ago, but since had dried out and in a brute, and dry sand. The tank and equipment where all from that 8 year old system as well, and in storage.

This is todays test, wish I had taken a picture of yesterdays.
IMG_3176.jpeg
IMG_3174.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just be an error with nitrate. Tbh I am skeptical about mb7's cycling ability.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really… if anything you got nitrite going currently that would give you a false “high reading” of nitrate… give it some time, 3 or 4 days and try again.
Ok, sounds good. Kind of what I figured. Thank you
Might just be an error with nitrate. Tbh I am skeptical about mb7's cycling ability.
Well, that’s not good. What would you use?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds good. Kind of what I figured. Thank you

Well, that’s not good. What would you use?

I personally recommend bio spira or either of the fritz products. The reason I am doubtful of the MB7 cycling ability is based on a thread comparing cycling bacterias. They could have just had a dud though or maybe it requires something else like organic carbon to process ammonia and nitrite.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally recommend bio spira or either of the fritz products. The reason I am doubtful of the MB7 cycling ability is based on a thread comparing cycling bacterias. They could have just had a dud though or maybe it requires something else like organic carbon to process ammonia and nitrite.
I have read that the mb7 bacteria are in a dormant state in the bottle. Idk what they where testing in the thread. I will give it some time and see what happens.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used mb7 in the past with good results, live fish in tank though. I am almost done cycling my new tank with mb xlm and their ammonia product. I brought the ammonia up to 3.0ppm and put recommended amount of the mb in. 2 weeks later I tested and still had 3.0ppm. I decided to add the rest of the bottle. Maybe I didnt shake the bottle enough maybe it was a bad batch??? 2 days later I was down to 1ppm with nitrite in the 2ppm range. Last night I checked its almost 0 nitrite and is 0 ammonia ( and yes I know according to NEW CYCLE SCIENCE I dont have to wait, but I will) its been almost a month. Give it a few days if no movement gently shake the bottle and add another dose.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that the mb7 bacteria are in a dormant state in the bottle. Idk what they where testing in the thread. I will give it some time and see what happens.

Try adding a bit of fish food to the tank and see if it kick starts it.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used mb7 in the past with good results, live fish in tank though. I am almost done cycling my new tank with mb xlm and their ammonia product. I brought the ammonia up to 3.0ppm and put recommended amount of the mb in. 2 weeks later I tested and still had 3.0ppm. I decided to add the rest of the bottle. Maybe I didnt shake the bottle enough maybe it was a bad batch??? 2 days later I was down to 1ppm with nitrite in the 2ppm range. Last night I checked its almost 0 nitrite and is 0 ammonia ( and yes I know according to NEW CYCLE SCIENCE I dont have to wait, but I will) its been almost a month. Give it a few days if no movement gently shake the bottle and add another dose.

Try adding a bit of fish food to the tank and see if it kick starts it.
It was not even 24 hours after adding the ammonia when I tested. I am not worried(should I be?), it just seemed really fast to have nitrates. Mb7 says to dose 10ml a day, I think, for 2 weeks. I am in no rush, I know it might take a while since I used, dry(ish) rock(not sure if anything could survive being dry for almost 10 years), and dry sand.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not even 24 hours after adding the ammonia when I tested. I am not worried(should I be?), it just seemed really fast to have nitrates. Mb7 says to dose 10ml a day, I think, for 2 weeks. I am in no rush, I know it might take a while since I used, dry(ish) rock(not sure if anything could survive being dry for almost 10 years), and dry sand.
Yeah its been a while since I cycled a tank with mb7 so couldnt remember exactly how to use it I do remember I kept using it for like a month after though.
I added some fish food but didnt see much during the ammonia phase. Once I had nitrites and no ammonia for a few days with no detectable decrease I added a 1/4sp of reefroids most of my corals in my other tank dont like it, figured it couldnt hurt. My nitrites went down 2 days later. Still had detectable numbers so waited 2 more days and retested same. Added another 1/4tsp 2 days later dropped to near 0. That was last night waiting until tomorrow to test again.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested ammonia again this morning. I hate these color based tests. Lol. Might be at .8?

These are the test in 2 different spots and they look slightly different
IMG_3183.jpeg
IMG_3182.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d lean more towards 1.2 myself… and don’t worry in a week or so you’ll never have to use that test kit again lol..
Yeah, I think you are right. I looked at the pic I post yesterday, and it is in the same spot as the 2nd pic and looks pretty similar.

Yeah, it is the only reason I went with the Redsea and did not look into a Hanna.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more ammonia about 40 hours ago. I tested a little while after adding ammonia and I think I was at 2, that’s as high as the Red Sea test goes, but it was the same color as the 2, not sure if it would be darker if higher. I just tested again now and still at 1.8.

Do I just keep waiting until it gets low, add ammonia to get to 2ppm, and wait until the tank can get the 2ppm ammonia to 0 in 24 hours?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more ammonia about 40 hours ago. I tested a little while after adding ammonia and I think I was at 2, that’s as high as the Red Sea test goes, but it was the same color as the 2, not sure if it would be darker if higher. I just tested again now and still at 1.8.

Do I just keep waiting until it gets low, add ammonia to get to 2ppm, and wait until the tank can get the 2ppm ammonia to 0 in 24 hours?
You dont need to add more ammonia. You can but its not required to cycle the tank. Once your ammonia hits 0 you are cycled according to new cycle science. Did I add another about 1ppm of ammonia after mine was cycled completely, no ammonia and no nitrite, yes I did. With in 48 hrs I had 0 on both again. If you still have ammonia I'd wait until it is gone.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need to add more ammonia. You can but its not required to cycle the tank. Once your ammonia hits 0 you are cycled according to new cycle science. Did I add another about 1ppm of ammonia after mine was cycled completely, no ammonia and no nitrite, yes I did. With in 48 hrs I had 0 on both again. If you still have ammonia I'd wait until it is gone.
Ok, thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back