Cycle Problem!!

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping I may be overthinking, but I am hoping to get some advice from some members!!

6/5/22 - Started cycling my 20gal QT tank to prepare for 2 clownfish coming in 6/18. Added Brightwell QuickCycl for Ammonia to 2ppm. Added what I THOUGHT was Microbacter Start XLM. Turns out it was Microbacter 7. This was an error on my part, I didn’t confirm the product had the correct name on the bottle when it delivered!

I have been testing daily, being Day 7 now I am glad I pulled out the bottle because I was concerned at the readings. Here’s where I’m at today:

Ammonia -.75-1.0 (in between green colors)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Salinity is at 1.023 and Temp is steady at 77.5. Lights are off and I have not done any water changes. I’m using API test kits, and from what I’ve seen on member responses here, they’re not super accurate. Should I run to my LFS and grab something to boost the cycle considering I didn’t actually add StartXLM like I originally thought? Is there something I can do? Or do I need to start all over again asap today? Please help! Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to start over. You could either add microbacter start or get a different bacteria starter. Or even just wait for all levels to drop naturally.

.75 -1 ppm is probably an actual amonia reading considering its day 7.

The tank is cycled when you can add 2ppm amonia and 24 hours later it's back zero. .25 on api test kit is pretty normal read for zero amonia.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another ammonia test would be ideal. No need to start all over. You do not need bacteria in a bottle to cycle a tank; let alone a specific branding. Verify the ammonia level go from there.

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another ammonia test would be ideal. No need to start all over. You do not need bacteria in a bottle to cycle a tank; let alone a specific branding. Verify the ammonia level go from there.
Thank you so so much. I’m going to run a sample of my water over to my LFS and have them test just in case. I do have Seachem Ammonia Alert badges coming, should be delivered tomorrow!

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to start over. You could either add microbacter start or get a different bacteria starter. Or even just wait for all levels to drop naturally.

.75 -1 ppm is probably an actual amonia reading considering its day 7.

The tank is cycled when you can add 2ppm amonia and 24 hours later it's back zero. .25 on api test kit is pretty normal read for zero amonia.
Thank you so much. Knew I could rely on quick replies! I’m going to take some of my water to my LFS across the street to test just in case my results aren’t accurate and will pick up some bacteria while I’m there. Once I have a solid ammonia reading from my LFS, should I add more ammonia to the tank and see if it comes down within 24 hrs? I do not want to over do it obviously!

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6/15 Update: I have been adding Microbacter 7 daily per the instructions on the bottle. Temp at 77.5, no lights on (other than 20 seconds to take these pictures). My question is now why I am seeing 2 different types of Ammonia readings. API looks to be at about .25 to .50 but my Seachem Ammonia Alert badge is reading yellow for “Safe” as of today.

I am concerned because I have not yet seen any Nitrite/Nitrate readings. I have 3 days to get this tank ready before 2 very expensive storm clowns show up at my door! I am hoping the Microbacter 7 will kick into gear to be ready by then. Is it safe to put the clowns in this tank as is? Or do I take them to my LFS and ask them to hold the fish until this QT is reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and <0 nitrate?

As always, advice and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 8CFA3A1C-3AF5-411D-8A4A-B33872A4CBC5.jpeg
    8CFA3A1C-3AF5-411D-8A4A-B33872A4CBC5.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 49
  • 9A826204-EC52-45D1-A8A9-3F06A7B51AB3.jpeg
    9A826204-EC52-45D1-A8A9-3F06A7B51AB3.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 54
  • A97ABD19-0FE6-4215-A969-BD0778E2F39E.jpeg
    A97ABD19-0FE6-4215-A969-BD0778E2F39E.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 41

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our hobby test kits measure total amonia nh3 + nh4. It is the free amonia nh3 that is harmful. The higher the temperature and ph the more free amonia there will be in the water. Api is notorious for false readings of amonia.

The seachem alert badge read free amonia nh3 the stuff that's bad.

this calculator will let estimate how much free amonia actually exists.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php

NH3 level
safe 0.001 0.020 ppm
alert 0.020 0.050 ppm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our hobby test kits measure total amonia nh3 + nh4. It is the free amonia nh3 that is harmful. The higher the temperature and ph the more free amonia there will be in the water. Api is notorious for false readings of amonia.

The seachem alert badge read free amonia nh3 the stuff that's bad.

this calculator will let estimate how much free amonia actually exists.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php

NH3 level
safe 0.001 0.020 ppm
alert 0.020 0.050 ppm
Thank you so much. So if I’m understanding you correctly I should be in the safe zone as far as ammonia goes…for now…barring no further mishaps right?

Would it be wise to take a water sample back to my LFS Saturday morning before my storm clowns deliver? I really don’t want to risk putting those beautiful babies in harms way!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
6/15 Update: I have been adding Microbacter 7 daily per the instructions on the bottle. Temp at 77.5, no lights on (other than 20 seconds to take these pictures). My question is now why I am seeing 2 different types of Ammonia readings. API looks to be at about .25 to .50 but my Seachem Ammonia Alert badge is reading yellow for “Safe” as of today.

I am concerned because I have not yet seen any Nitrite/Nitrate readings. I have 3 days to get this tank ready before 2 very expensive storm clowns show up at my door! I am hoping the Microbacter 7 will kick into gear to be ready by then. Is it safe to put the clowns in this tank as is? Or do I take them to my LFS and ask them to hold the fish until this QT is reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and <0 nitrate?

As always, advice and suggestions are very much appreciated!
Please take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use api kits and see what readings they come up with. Both devices you have are notorious for false readings. This will verify your readings

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just be testing for nitrates now. If you get measurable nitrates then you know your tank is cycling.
I’m still at 0 nitrites and seem to be at 0 nitrates. That’s why I’m afraid after today (day 11). Both of my LFS use API test kits.

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use api kits and see what readings they come up with. Both devices you have are notorious for false readings. This will verify your readings
Both of my LFS use API test kits. I did take a water sample to each one and they pulled out the same exact kit I have. Unfortunately I don’t have another option close.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still at 0 nitrites and seem to be at 0 nitrates. That’s why I’m afraid after today (day 11). Both of my LFS use API test kits.
Took about 2 weeks for my tank to show nitrates. Don't worry about nitrites. Drop some nitrifying bacteria in there.

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about 2 weeks for my tank to show nitrates. Don't worry about nitrites. Drop some nitrifying bacteria in there.
I have been adding daily but only for 4 days now, that’s why I put the original post on here. I was given the Microbacter 7 instead of the Microbacter Start XLM that I ordered. Noticed it a week into the cycle. Just looking for help getting this tank to a safe level in the next 3 days because I have 2 extremely expensive storm clowns coming to me on Saturday afternoon. :(

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my LFS use API test kits. I did take a water sample to each one and they pulled out the same exact kit I have. Unfortunately I don’t have another option close.
Of course you do!! Go to the LFS and buy a Salifert Nitrate kit. If you are feeling spendy, get a Hannah. Salifert is a good trusted brand, but also uses a color chart to measure. The Hannah is digital so no visual worries.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been adding daily but only for 4 days now, that’s why I put the original post on here. I was given the Microbacter 7 instead of the Microbacter Start XLM that I ordered. Noticed it a week into the cycle. Just looking for help getting this tank to a safe level in the next 3 days because I have 2 extremely expensive storm clowns coming to me on Saturday afternoon. :(
I used dr. Tim's which is readily available. I think your tank will start by Saturday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back