Cycle wasn't ready

Scottie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled the my new tank for about 4 weeks with dr tims and a couple pinches of fish food. I tested my paremeters and watched the ammonia increase and then go to 0 and my nitrates to raise to 1 ppm. I thought mh cycle was complete and instead of adding ammonia chloride and waiting again my lfs guy convinced me to add a fish - I was told when getting clownfish get a pair so I purchased two tiny clowns. After one day the ammonia spiked up to 0.5 ppm and I rushed to get more dr tims. I have carbon running in the tank also. I just added the bottle. Should I do a 50 % water change today right after adding the bottle and continue every other day or should I wait a day to do the wc? How toxic is 0.5 ppm to clowns? Will the wc add to their stress and or remove some of the recxently added bacteria?

45 gallon tank
8 gallons in sump
78 f
1.026 salinity
Rodi water reading 0tds

Kudos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do a water change personally. You want bacteria and by doing a water change you'll get rid of bacteria.

How much rock do you have? Live or dry or cured?

Filthybum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? You said you added dr Tim’s after the spike. What bottle is it? Ammonia? Or bacteria bottle?

OP
OP
Scottie

Scottie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do a water change personally. You want bacteria and by doing a water change you'll get rid of bacteria.

How much rock do you have? Live or dry or cured?

40 # of dry rock - it was manmade so I only cured it for a week

Filthybum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add prime but it will give you a false positive when you test ammonia again. Agree with kudos no water change you will remove bacteria that you need. Best situation is to return fish to lfs and wait til cycle is done. Your only other option is to closely monitor ammonia and add more bacteria it will take awhile for bacteria to handle your bio load. Hope this helps

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, water changes have minimal impact on the nitrifying bacteria colony, as it lives on the surface of things (live rock, sponges, glass, sand) and not in the water column.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add Seachem Prime to neutralize the ammonia and you should be fine. Just give it a week or two before adding more livestock for your bacteria to catch up.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19D06973-F270-4793-A419-37976C0D6B51.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back