Cycled finished, but going out of town

Quintz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cycle ended a couple of days ago on my tank, but I’m actually going out of town this Sunday and will be gone until next Saturday. Considering I have no live stock in the tank should I go ahead and implement my lighting schedule while I’m gone or no? I need some opinions on this matter because I’m very conflicted. If I do run the lights it will be the current schedule I found plus acclimation set to 30%. Hopefully that would help with the ugly phase by not feeding to much light. Anyways opinions would be much appreciated!

Tank: Innovative Marine 15 Aio
Substrate: Caribsea Live
Salt water: Nutri-Seawater Live
Rock: Dry Rock

Swapping over to mixing my own saltwater later

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cycle ended a couple of days ago on my tank, but I’m actually going out of town this Sunday and will be gone until next Saturday. Considering I have no live stock in the tank should I go ahead and implement my lighting schedule while I’m gone or no? I need some opinions on this matter because I’m very conflicted. If I do run the lights it will be the current schedule I found plus acclimation set to 30%. Hopefully that would help with the ugly phase by not feeding to much light. Anyways opinions would be much appreciated!

Tank: Innovative Marine 15 Aio
Substrate: Caribsea Live
Salt water: Nutri-Seawater Live
Rock: Dry Rock

Swapping over to mixing my own saltwater later
No sense having lights going until coral are present.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Easy peesy. Leave the lights off and leave them off for 2-3 months if you can. We want prepare your new rocks by giving it a healthy dose of biofilm without the help of lights to outcompete the algae when your light does come on.

OP
OP
Q

Quintz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy peesy. Leave the lights off and leave them off for 2-3 months if you can. We want prepare your new rocks by giving it a healthy dose of biofilm without the help of lights to outcompete the algae when your light does come on.
No sense having lights going until coral are present.
I see. So, before I leave should I add the same amount of fish food I started the cycle with? Just to feed the beneficial bacteria while I’m gone. Oh and I’ll have someone taking care of the top offs while I’m gone. As far as testing I think I can get by with no testing considering I’ll only be gone for a week and there’s nothing in the tank at the moment.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. So, before I leave should I add the same amount of fish food I started the cycle with? Just to feed the beneficial bacteria while I’m gone. Oh and I’ll have someone taking care of the top offs while I’m gone. As far as testing I think I can get by with no testing considering I’ll only be gone for a week and there’s nothing in the tank at the moment.
Won't hurt to add food. However won't be a problem if you don't.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any benefit to it at all? As in feeding the beneficial bacteria to increase the population?
Can't hurt.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back