Cycled123 Nano to 180g

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the yellow tang is back to normal.

I really like your blue throat trigger!! Seeing your aquscape from all three sides was cool. You did a great job with it.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tang dead this morning :( Almost looked like it had a bruise. We will be completely taking that qt down a bleaching it just in case.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear you lost the yellow tang.

I hate losing fish. My melanurus wrasse that I have had for 4.5 years died today. I have no idea why. I have heard 5 years is old for some wrasse so maybe he was just old..

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear you lost the yellow tang.

I hate losing fish. My melanurus wrasse that I have had for 4.5 years died today. I have no idea why. I have heard 5 years is old for some wrasse so maybe he was just old..

Sorry about your wrasse. That was a beautiful fish :(

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report this week. Haven't spent a lot of time with tank due to digging out from 30in of snow! Broke all kinds of records for Wisconsin. Luckily did not lose power (but at the same time kind of sad that I couldn't test out all our new power outage equipment... We did start the generator just to run it for a bit)
20180415_070028.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!!

What a crazy spring storm. I heard on the news last night more snow is coming for your part of the country..lol.. I am so done with winter, but I have a feeling we are going to skip spring this year and go straight to hot summer.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad week. We lost the the Copperband to I don't know what. He was doing well and eating and then all of the sudden was having trouble swimming/staying upright. He kept eating through his troubles but passed away. My best guess is some kind of swim bladder disease. I think the big conch snail is dead. He is in the middle of the big rock structure and hasn't moved and haven't seen eye balls for almost a week. I can't reach him either. The aqua blue acro melted away in a matter of hours. I'm attributing this to an alk spike after water change (10 to 11.5 at water change 9.4 to 11.5 in 2 weeks) or ?. Other corals are doing ok. Euphylia were a little more closed during same period and the birdsnest lost a little tissue from the center. All coral are back to normal now that alk is stable again at 10. Purchased some muriatic acid to bring down the alk in our reef crystals salt mix. The trigger has some kind of bacterial infection near his mouth. My husband pulled him and put in qt. Started on metroplex in food. My husband thought it might be ich and started copper but I don't think that is it. My husband swapped powder blue out of qt and put trigger in. Powder blue is now in dt. Seems to be doing well. The other fish are all hiding though. If we have ich in dt I don't know what we will do...

Ok enough with the sad already! On a positive note we did get some more coral (Red digitata, bazzoka joe challice, frogspawn, 2 zoas and rock flower nem), 6 turbo snails and 2 more cleaner shrimp. They came on Wednesday and all are doing well. I will take pictures once they are done acclimating and are in there permanent spots. Below was during initial acclimation. First floated bags for 15 minutes and then dripped snails and shrimp for 2 hours. I use a gravity fed enteral feed bag from work. I like it because I can very accurately control the drip rate. The corals were also dripped and then got a coral rx bath before into the dt. I have used revive in the past and actually like it better. And no I do not qt my corals or inverts.
20180418_175721.jpg 20180418_180207.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear about your copperband. It sucks to lose a fish that was doing so well.

It looks like you picked up some nice corals :) I don't qt my corals either so I have no idea if ich is in my display tank or not? I don't see any on the fish, but it could be there.

I sure hope the infection on your trigger heals up quickly.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of good news... The conch is alive!!! After staying in the same spot for 12 days he came out and cruised the tank for 2. He's back hiding but I'm not so worried this time. The trigger is better. Added back to display a couple days ago. Unfortunately the powder blue took issue with him and he has been hiding in the top corner of the tank. We put a mirror by the tank and that is keeping the PBT occupied. Hopefully they will comfortable with each other soon. Got a new acan, large polyp blasto and small acro frag. My husband can't seem to resist acros even though we keep loosing them. I keep telling him we should wait six months at least. At least it was cheap. Our alk has been stable so we will see with this one.
20180427_150534.jpg 20180502_160742.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news about the conch.
I really need to get a frag rack. I like yours and the frags on it.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having issues with cloudy water so started looking at UV sterilizers. I found out that you can not carbon dose if using a uv sterilizer so scrapped that idea. (Still have high nitrates so want to leave that option open) While searching ran across diatom filters. But lots of poor reviews on the motors. I found a company that retrofits dc pump to the vortex diatom filter jars so decided to try it. So far so good. It has pulled out lots of gunk since Friday. And the water is crystal clear!
20180508_030835.jpg
The fuge has really taken off! It's nearly full of chaeto. And pods galore. I've been dosing phytoplankton and Fuel to the fuge.
20180508_014122.jpg
The trigger has figured out what the cleaner shrimp are for. Most mornings when I come home from work he is getting his daily cleaning. Of course as soon as I get near with a camera the shrimp drop off.
20180506_071804.jpg
We are slowly loosing our large birdsnest. It started with the alk swing but hasn't stopped even though alk is stable. Decided to change up the flow pattern yesterday to oceanic gyre cycle from lunar tidal cycle (included programs on maxspect gyres). Don't know if this will help but the gonioporas seem to like the change and were open all day. (had only been opening for part of the day). According to par meter the birdsnest should be getting enough light and had been growing quickly until it started loosing polyps.
20180507_111501.jpg
20180507_111633.jpg
Contemplating what our next fish will be... Still on list midas blenny and pj cardinals for sure. Debating on magnificent foxface and yellow tang. The whole reason my husband wanted a saltwater tank was for a yellow tang. Now that he has a PBT he doesn't like its "attitude" so the yellow tang is now on the maybe list. He says he will decide after putting sailfin in. We are also debating getting a girlfriend for the trigger. If we do either the foxface or yellow tang will probably come off the list. After pods are well established I will get my must have green mandarin. Decisions Decisions

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to frag off some pieces of the birds nest before it is all gone. You might be able to save some of it. Alk swings suck. I had my doser get clogged and had a 1 dkh drop before I noticed it. Some of my acros were not happy, but luckily none of them lost any tissue. I want to get a pair of red mandarins for my tank. You should get a pair!! My tank is loaded with pods also so I need a few pod eaters lol...
I think I got lucky with my PBT, it doesn't bother anyone, but we will see what happens when I add the last few fish in a few months.
Your zoas look like they are growing like crazy :)

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a couple "accidental" frags of the birdsnest in various spots in the tank. I may put a few on plugs though. I have thought of getting a pair of mandarins. I have sixline that also eats pods though. I threw shower poofs in the fuge and have started shaking them in the display a couple times a week to hopefully get some established in the display vs fuge. I have also looked into starting a remote pod farm.

Yes the zoas are doing very well. I have my eye on a few more that I desire, lol.
20180507_111629.jpg

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the woes continue. Lost the Powder blue Tang last night. My husband fed the tank and everyone including PBT ate. He then went and fed other tanks. Came back and PBT was in between 2 rocks. My husband moved the rock thinking he might have been stuck but said he wasn't wedged. PBT swam across tank and then dropped. Was instantly dead. We do have ich in the tank and PBT had spots along with a couple others. At this stage we are using management strategy vs pulling all fish. I don't think it was ich that killed him though. He was eating, breathing and swimming normally until he dropped dead. No ammonia, salinity stable, pH fairly stable (creeping up slightly now that spring has hit and windows have been open.. up .1 higher nothing drastic). All other fish are still normal. At a loss. We do have a 40g qt currently empty if decide to pull all fish but we tend to be in the camp that all tanks have/end up with ich. My fear is velvet but doesn't really look like velvet to me.
Royal Gramma is the worst. Spots scattered throughout body and fins.
20180510_183131.jpg
20180510_184115.jpg
Sapphire damsel has a few spots on upper portion of body and fins. Microbubbles are from the vortex DE filter
20180510_183756.jpg 20180510_183757.jpg
Trigger has a few spots on fins only
20180510_184042.jpg

No visible signs of spots on the rest of the fish. No swimming into powerheads or hiding. All are flashing occasionally though.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you lost the PBT :(

Ich management can definitely be a viable option and it is one I have used in many past tanks. I don't qt corals so there is always a possibility it will show up in my current tank. I haven't seen anything yet, but I am running a UV sterilizer and ozone on my skimmer. This is my first time keeping a PBT, but I have read that they are difficult in tanks where ich is present. I would think about adding a UV and just make sure you are feeding your fish well, soak there food in selcon to help support their immune system.

I am having my own fish issues. My convict tang is getting skinny despite my best efforts. It will only eat nori and graze the Live rock. I have tried every food I can think of and it has zero interest. It is hard to watch this fish keep losing weight. It doesn't have any symptoms of internal parasites or anything else.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this and really don’t want to be the one..BUT, it appears to be Velvet by the pictures and descriptions. Velvet as we all know is a quick killer. PBT, being apart of the Acanthurus sp. family are high susceptible to white spot diseases. (Ich and Velvet) Their has been VERY few cases where a tang from the acanthurus genus (Orange shoulder, P Blue T, P Brown T, lavender tang, etc) have lived in “Ich management systems”. Even some of the best have not had any success.

With this being said I would pull your fish personally. Trigger is likely next to go if you were to ask me. Velvet can be a quick killer and will have no problem leaving you fishless if you try to ride it out. Copper and 76 days fallow is your best friend right now.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's velvet :( We lost the sapphire damsel the day after last post and lost the royal gramma immediately after getting him into qt. Took 3 hours and removal of all rocks but got all the fish into qt with copper. Unfortunately knocked off and damaged corals during the whole process too. And why do rocks never go back together remotely the same way? Still working on the rescape...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back