Cycled123 Nano to 180g

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years in Freshwater I started a 37g mixed reef nano tank 1 year ago. I was definitely bit by the Saltwater bug! Like all tanks this one has weathered it's ups and downs but I love it anyways.
IMG_0923.JPG

After realizing that I do not have room for my favorite brain and leather corals I started to look at slightly larger tanks (75-100g). I had settled on a 36x36x24 square tank. But then my husband really wanted tangs. He started working on me to get an even larger tank. I kept saying no room! (We have 120g and 75g freshwater tanks in addition to the nano salt tank) Well needless to say we have a 180g customaquiriums.com tank ordered.
20171125_080304.jpg

Tank is 48x36x24 peninsula style. I will have to get rid of a book shelve and rearrange some living room furniture in order to get it to fit but I think it will be well worth it in the end! Tank is going to be room divider between open concept living room and dining room. Stand is 36in steel that we will eventually skim out with something rustic looking.

I guess that is all for now. I went hog wild on black Friday sales so I figured I would start the build thread now even though tank isn't coming until January. Thanks for reading!!!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Make sure to start a build thread so we can follow along!

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have decided to build our own sump with a standard 75g tank (48x18x21). We are going to use glass from a leaking 55g. Any tips or layout ideas for building the sump? All I know right now is I want a large refugium section. Cheers!

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my black Friday stuff is here! And as a bonus my Orphek lights I ordered 3 weeks ago came too :)
20171120_154328.jpg

Equipment I purchased black Friday sales: Maxspect gyre with icecap, ATK auto top off , 10 gal ATO container, energy bar 8 Neptune, AFS autofeeder Neptune, DOS and DDR Dosing package Neptune, Avast marine skimmer locker, and marinepure large blocks. I also purchased a used classic apex with salinity module and all probes, 300w heater and Skimz monzter skimmer previously. I haven't made a decision on return pump. My husband wants Ecotech Vetra M1 and I want Reef Octopus Varios 8. I like that you can control Varios via apex. I had my husband convinced but were to late. All sold out at BRS. Found at marine depot on sale but for higher price. Husband says wait now so we can do more research or find something used. Any suggestions on a lasting, quiet return pump for under $400?

We decided to give Orphek compact Atlantik V4 lights a try after BRS did there review. Hopefully we made a good decision because we blew our light budget. Just FYI Orphek says 2 compacts will light our 48x36x24 tank for mixed reef and can grow clams on sand bed. They said for SPS dominate either 2 Full size V4 or 3 compacts. We are planning a mixed reef with some SPS sprinkled through out so we purchased 2 compacts. If our plans change in the future we can add another compact if needed.
20171127_123417.jpg

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks have been soaking for a month now. Rock was given to us for free from someones crashed tank. They were dried and then put in a tote for a couple of months. Manually removed what we could by hand then put in garbage can with saltwater, powerhead and heater. Scrubbed the rocks again at 2 weeks. Added some bacteria yesterday. I am hoping to jump start tank cycle time by having the rocks mostly cycled before hand (cross fingers). If not at least I am getting all the dead stuff out.
20171201_102507.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank dimensions. I started a tank with used live rock once and I ended up growing a ton of algae of all sorts. Make sure you test for phosphates before putting that rock in your new tank. You could use a liquid phosphate remover if you find the levels are high.

I also took advantage of the black Friday sales for my new 180 build!! It feels like Christmas came early hugh?

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank dimensions. I started a tank with used live rock once and I ended up growing a ton of algae of all sorts. Make sure you test for phosphates before putting that rock in your new tank. You could use a liquid phosphate remover if you find the levels are high.

I also took advantage of the black Friday sales for my new 180 build!! It feels like Christmas came early hugh?

Thanks for the tips on the phosphates. They currently are high so will have to look into a phosphate remover. What do you suggest? Our nano we used live rock and had algae for quite awhile but I figure that was just part of maturing a tank. This time around though we have corals we are transferring and I really don't want algae to take over and possibly hurt my corrals. I'm hoping we can get them down before the tank comes in approximately six weeks.

I'm very excited about this tanks dimensions. I can't wait to scape it. Right now in my head I have two or three islands pictured possibly connected with an arch and lots of open swimming room. I'm horrible at visualizing though and until I can play with the rocks who knows what will come about.

Yep Christmas definitely came early. I told my kids they had to wrap it all and they looked at me like I was nuts!!!

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays update... My husband discovered the hard way that all the panels on the 55gal were tempered. He thought only the bottom was. Now we have to purchase glass to make our sump. Oh well :/

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips on the phosphates. They currently are high so will have to look into a phosphate remover. What do you suggest? Our nano we used live rock and had algae for quite awhile but I figure that was just part of maturing a tank. This time around though we have corals we are transferring and I really don't want algae to take over and possibly hurt my corrals. I'm hoping we can get them down before the tank comes in approximately six weeks.

I'm very excited about this tanks dimensions. I can't wait to scape it. Right now in my head I have two or three islands pictured possibly connected with an arch and lots of open swimming room. I'm horrible at visualizing though and until I can play with the rocks who knows what will come about.

Yep Christmas definitely came early. I told my kids they had to wrap it all and they looked at me like I was nuts!!!

Seaklear phosphate remover should work great especially since you still have the rock curing in a brute. You need to filter out the precipitate it will cause then just keep testing every few days and add more as needed until the levels drop to near zero. This will save you any possible major head aches later. You will still get the typical cycle diatoms, but at least the rock won't be leaching out tons of phosphate adding to the issues of a new tank.

I decided to start with dry rock for this tank (this is the first time I have done this) to avoid adding any unwanted pests. I will be strictly qt everything fish and corals also.

It will be fun watching your tank build as we are starting close to the same time.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaklear phosphate remover should work great especially since you still have the rock curing in a brute. You need to filter out the precipitate it will cause then just keep testing every few days and add more as needed until the levels drop to near zero. This will save you any possible major head aches later. You will still get the typical cycle diatoms, but at least the rock won't be leaching out tons of phosphate adding to the issues of a new tank.

I decided to start with dry rock for this tank (this is the first time I have done this) to avoid adding any unwanted pests. I will be strictly qt everything fish and corals also.

It will be fun watching your tank build as we are starting close to the same time.

Thanks! I will look into Seakler phosphate remover. I'll have to figure out how to filter it though.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two fish in quarantine today. Now just have to wait another month for the tank :(
copper band and anthias.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! I love copperbands, but with the tangs I have planned I didn't think it would work well.

Are you going to have more anthias?

I am hoping to have my first fish in qt next weekend or soon there after.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! I love copperbands, but with the tangs I have planned I didn't think it would work well.

Are you going to have more anthias?

I am hoping to have my first fish in qt next weekend or soon there after.

Up in the air about more anthias. Some say do well in groups others say no. So going to start with one and add the other fish we want and see how it is going after that. We are planning a yellow tang and a powdered blue. I was advised as long as the copperband was first and well established we should be ok. Crossing fingers!

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up in the air about more anthias. Some say do well in groups others say no. So going to start with one and add the other fish we want and see how it is going after that. We are planning a yellow tang and a powdered blue. I was advised as long as the copperband was first and well established we should be ok. Crossing fingers!

I have seen many photos and videos with copperbands and PBT in the same tank so I am sure you will be fine. I am just being overly cautious.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the anthias didn't make it. This morning he was on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy and was dead a few hours later. We were treating with hydroplex as precaution. Nothing was found on the fish (no spots, mucus, flared gills, streaks, ect). Copperband seems to be settling in nicely and has eaten live black worms twice. Tomorrow we will try brine shrimp and then pellets. We may try a group of anthias next time. I don't know if we will add another fish into QT with the Copperband or just wait until the tank is here. As is Copperband will be in QT for about 6 weeks.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry you lost the anthias. I have never heard of hydroplex? I just googled it. I have seen Ruby Reef but never have used it.

I hope the copperband continues to do well for you!

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on cooking rocks... I have used Seakler phosphate remover for 4 days and phosphate went from off the chart (1++) to 0.075 today. I'll dose until 0.025 and then do a full water change. I'm hoping to have the rocks fully "cycled" by the time we get the tank in about a month. I think because the rocks should be fully seeded with bacteria we are going to go with dry sand. Any suggestions on what sand to get? We are also planning to purchase a refugium starter kit with pods and macroalgae once we get the tank since we are essentially starting with "dead rock" in that regards and won't be moving our current stock and rocks until we get a few fish established.
Stocking wish list with possible order:
Copperband Butterfly
Bartlett's Anthias (since the one in QT died this may or may not happen next) Should we start a group or house singly? 20g QT
Christmas Wrasse or possibly another variety
Transfer current rock and fish (Occ. Clown Fish, Royal Gramma, Sapphire Damsel, Six Line Wrasse, Lawn Mower Blenny)
Magnificent Fox Face
Yellow Tang and Powder Blue Tang at same time
Pacific Red hogfish
Gold Midas Blenny
Green Mandarin

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad the seaklear is working to pull the phosphate out of your rocks.

I am planning to order some stuff from Indio Pacific Sea Farms to help seed my sand and tank since I will be starting with dry rock. I have ordered from them in the past and I was very happy with the pods, worms, and sand activator critters I received.

I am going to use TropicEden reef flakes for a 2” sand layer in my tank. I have heard good things about their sand, but this will be my first time using it.
I think your fish list looks great except for the six line wrasse. They can be pretty aggressive as they grow.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everybody tells us that about the six line. We've had him a year and he just does his own thing. He was second in tank too and never bothered the 3 other additions after him. In order most aggressive to least is Royal Gramma, Clown, Blenny, Damsel and then Sixline lol. Clown is the one that goes after us humans in addition to anyone that is by his hammer. Royal Gramma rules most of the front of the tank. Blenny the top of the rockwork but will back down to gramma. Damsel and sixline just do there own thing while avoiding the others. But truly all the inhabitants are pretty mellow with each other once everyone got there sleeping places down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back