Cycled123 Nano to 180g

Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g+' started by cycled123, Nov 25, 2017.

1. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member

I was measuring ammonia with badge once I had it (day 10). And yes it took forever (well ~6 weeks to cycle) I thought prime was depleted when added Copper. Now I think issue with fish was Uronema all a long from the first Bartlett. Thanks for the advice and reading through. I'm very excited for the new tank. Unfortunately now saying end of January instead of mid January for the tank :(

Zack Klabunde likes this.

2. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Aw man I know how much that sucks. It is hard to be patient when you have everything ready to go. I hope it comes sooner for you.

3. Zack Klabunde

Zack Klabunde The LPS Guy R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Unfortunately nothing good happens fast in this hobby. It’s a good thing you Quarentined, other wise you would be looking Mod February if you had introduced any diseases into the many Display. Don’t beat your self up over it. Sometimes these fish hid symptoms so well, it’s hard to say. Just don’t blink, February will come before you know it.
    -Zack

cycled123 likes this.
  4. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member

I am very glad this happened in QT not DT! I'm just very sad to keep loosing fish. I just hope completely rebooting QT solves the issue! I currently have bleach running in the QT tank and then will take everything apart and rinse real good. Then start cycling with new water. Does this sound like an ok plan?
    My QT for my nano tank went without a hitch and we only lost one fish due to getting crushed not disease. It's been tough this go around to lose 5 fish already :( I'm starting to wonder though, our QT for our nano tank had live rock and sand and was more just observation. If I keep loosing fish to my "sterile" hospital QT I may look at going back to sand/live rock in one tank and a smaller medication tank. My husband does not want to set up 2 tanks and if the fish end up with uronema like these ones we would be tearing down both anyway. Decisions Decisions!

I am trying my very best to be patient I just want to get the equipment side going because I know that is going to take awhile too! (Especially plumbing) On that note my husband bought Aluminum to build the frame for floating canopy and the wood to build the supports for the floor in the crawl space. That's about all we can do until we get the tank and stand. We are going to attempt to suspend floating canopy from our ceiling. Should be an interesting project. Anybody got any tips for anchoring to the ceiling?

5. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member

My husband and I started to look at generators and are trying to figure out what our best options are in case the power goes out. In doing so my husband tried to figure out how much draw our tank will have. Turns out we would be blowing fuses with everything on for the tank, oops! We had an electrician come in yesterday and give us some options. I think we are going to go with a dedicated 20amp outlet for the tank and a 10 switch transfer box and a Champion 7500 watt duel fuel generator . This would allow us to not only use the generator to power the tanks but also furnace, well pump and fridge/freezers. I'm also looking at getting the icecap backup battery to run the gyre in case we are not home when the power goes out. We looked at getting a whole house automatic generator but we are not planning to stay in this house forever. And in 10yrs the power has only gone out for more than a few hours three times. It is definitely something we will do when we build our new house in Northern Wisconsin where outages are much longer and more common.. Besides that nothing really happening. Just waiting for the tank. QT tank showed nitrites yesterday so appears to be cycling as planned and faster then last time. I will not be getting any fish until ammonia is 0. My husband does not want to try Anthias again so we are looking for other schooling fish (besides Chromis). He is leaning towards zebra dart fish. Any thoughts?

Ento-Reefer likes this.
  6. Ento-Reefer

I like black bar chromis.

I know you said something besides chromis maybe try some cardinalfish?

Checking into a generator is on my short list of things I need to get done ASAP. I have been so busy since the holidays I have gotten behind. It sounds like you guys have found a good solution!
    I think a dedicated circuit is a good idea. My dh put in 2, 20 amp for my tank and I am glad he did.

cycled123 likes this.
  7. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member

Black Bar Chromis are pretty but hubby is trying to stay away from anything prone to uronemia. I'm not sure what our next fish is going to be. Probably whatever is on our list or schooling possibilities that is on diver's den when QT cycles. We have a few gift certificates to spend :)

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  8. Zack Klabunde

Zack Klabunde The LPS Guy R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Unfortunately I have found it is common in most Schooling fish. Chromis, Anthias, Skunk Clownfish, and even a few Basslets. I have not successfully kept a group of dart fish but that Is on my list of things to keep. They always seem to jump or are poor shippers. After 3 attempts I found a firefish that made shipping, ate, and stayed healthy, and now doesn’t jump (knock on wood)

-Zack, who like pink Skunks the best for schooling fish.

9. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member

Just a quick update... WE CAN PICK UP TANK NEXT WEDNESDAY!!!!!

Ento-Reefer likes this.
  10. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

WOOT!

cycled123 likes this.
  11. Ento-Reefer

Awesome!!! Can't wait to see your tank :)

Draft saved Draft deleted