OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making water is a testament of patience. Averaging 50g a day :( Tank and sump should be full tomorrow though. Then leak test of plumbing and hanging lights. My husband and I will probably play with our rocks and attempt some semblance of an aquascape today or tomorrow. We have decided we are going to move our current nano fish as soon as ammonia is 0 (0.5 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate 10-20 now) This decision is based on the ongoing struggles of QT. Foxface still has obvious velvet spots. I bought another copper test kit and was reading 0.3-0.4 (other one reading 0.5) so I don't think we were therapeutic this whole time. I am at 0.5 with new test right now and am going to up testing to twice a day. But this does reset our 30 days and we don't want the tank sitting for that long without fish.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hubby did a great job on the plumbing!!! I love the dimensions of your tank. I think your aquascape is going to be easier with the amount of space you have from front to back.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hubby did a great job on the plumbing!!! I love the dimensions of your tank. I think your aquascape is going to be easier with the amount of space you have from front to back.
Played a little bit with the rocks. Yes lots of room but having to aquascape so it looks good from three sides is turning into a challenge. Plus husband and I can't agree. This could take awhile, lol!

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and sump is full. One small leak at overflow bulkhead but otherwise looking good. I will take a pic once my husband and I agree on a rockscape

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot your tank was a peninsula, so yes that does sound challenging. Looking forward to seeing what you guys agreed upon...lol

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately ran into some more plumbing leaks once increased flow/pressure. Hubby attempting to repair. Hopefully don't have to cut out from overflow box as two pipes are leaking from that connection :(

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately ran into some more plumbing leaks once increased flow/pressure. Hubby attempting to repair. Hopefully don't have to cut out from overflow box as two pipes are leaking from that connection :(

Oh man I know what that is like. You will get it all fixed soon I am sure. I really hate plumbing. I think it is the least fun aspect of setting up a tank. Praying the repairs are easy.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my husband had to cut the plumbing out of overflow box and start over at those connections down through the unions. All three connections leaked at pressure. Also had to redo the T for the return lines. Any ideas how to support the return pipes? Only the T is under the stand to strap.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my husband had to cut the plumbing out of overflow box and start over at those connections down through the unions. All three connections leaked at pressure. Also had to redo the T for the return lines. Any ideas how to support the return pipes? Only the T is under the stand to strap.

Can you post a photo? We had a very short run down to the sump because we used the hole in the overflow box for our return. We didn't need to support any of the pipes. Sorry you are having issues :(

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick note before I head to work. Plumbing has been running for 24 hours with no leaks after my husband redid it :)

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a photo? We had a very short run down to the sump because we used the hole in the overflow box for our return. We didn't need to support any of the pipes. Sorry you are having issues :(
Clearest picture is on post #79 above. With it against the wall now I can't really get a good pic

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband got the lights up yesterday. Looks pretty rough until we skim it but it works :) We made the mistake (lol) of going to a frag swap today. One of our local clubs was having a freshwater and saltwater swap. We told ourselves that we would only buy freshwater and make a list of things we like for the salt tank, I know hahaha. Well we walked out with 6 frags: orange Setosa Montipora, Sunset Montipora, 2 zoas, a purple and green platgyra and an orange plate. With extreme restraint I walked away from all the lobos, scollies and button coral I wanted. (we tried to stick with easier but pretty) We decided instead of acclimating to little tank and then moving once we had sand in and everything running to just toss them in (especially since we are out of room in the little tank). The big tank is at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 Nitrate so figured we were safe adding a few things. My project the next two days is to rinse all the sand and get it in the tank, finish rock work and (hopefully) get the apex running. We bought a used apex and are having trouble getting a link token (can't get it to link to fusion) We have a ticket open with apex support and have updated firmware and restarted. Its been an exciting weekend for sure!!!
20180211_153137.jpg
20180211_153157.jpg
20180211_153251.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great!! You got some good corals.

How is your foxface doing?

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your foxface doing?[/QUOTE]
Foxface still has spots but is still eating though. I did a different copper test with another test kit and got the same readings I have been getting. I also took a water sample to a friend and they got same reading. I upped testing to twice a day thinking maybe we are getting fluctuations. I'm kind of at a loss :(

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all the sand rinsed and added. Used 1.5 bags dry mesoflake, 1 bag dry miniflake, and 1 bag live reeflake This Tropic Eden sand has very uniform sizes and rinsed pretty clean. The miniflake was the cleanest. After 3 rinses the miniflake did not cloud the water when added and immediately dropped to the bottom of the tank. The 1 bag of mesoflake was cloudier then the other but settled within an hour. The live reeflake I did not rinse and that clouded the water pretty good but cleared completely overnight. The mesoflake and reeflake do not move with my gyre 250 at 100% placed vertically 4 in from top of tank. The miniflake does move but does not cloud the water when it does. I have now mixed the 3 sizes together and sand is not moving. It is really hard to tell the difference in size between the reeflake and mesoflake so I did not include picture.
20180213_083856.jpg
20180213_090026.jpg

Mesoflake and miniflake next to each other in tank
20180213_091614.jpg

Update on foxface: The spots are finally gone (cross fingers) but he is looking really really skinny and appears to have some sort of mouth infection. I am currently treating with Furan 2 and will treat with metroplex once done with that. We are adding Kanaplex to food (which he is eating but not in large amounts). We started another qt tank separate from this one so we could start qt on a small bluejaw trigger that our LFS has had for about a month. The trigger hid for a few hours after added yesterday but otherwise has been out swimming and eats very well. My husband even heard her grunt a few times!

We will most likely transfer our current nano fish, corals and rock over sometime this weekend. The corals from the swap and a couple other frags we already transferred appear to be doing well. Polyps are extending on everything. I have lights in acclimation mode and so far I like the colors under them. I will slowly ramp up over the next few weeks.

We were able to reset and link the apex with some help from support. We have the very basics programmed for flow at this point and will work on tweaking things and get everything hooked up in the next few days. The ato keeps alarming so will have to figure that out. We still have to hook up and calibrate all the probes and set up doser. And then do something with all the cords and modules. It's going to take a bit, lol.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I really like the Tropic Eden sand. I used a combination on the reef and mini flakes. I rinsed mine really well and I like that I can stir my sand and not get a cloud of dust. I have started stirring my sand every couple of days and it helps keep it super clean and the bonus is the corals get a little something to feed on.

Organizing and programming took me about a month to get where I wanted to be and I still have some cord stuff to do. You will get there. Post up a front tank shot once you move stuff over.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back